Audition 3.0 Windows Sound is the default driver, but Adobe recommends that you select an ASIO driver.
ASIO is a multichannel protocol that allows compatible software to use the multichannel capabilities of ASIO-compliant sound cards.
The benefits of ASIO include:
- Lower signal latency.
- More efficient audio processing.
- Higher data throughput.
- More accurate channel synchronization.
- Better extensibility of audio hardware.
- Greater flexibility of sample rates, sample formats, and input/output channel mapping for playback and recording.
- The ability to record from two or more inputs simultaneously.
If you are using an ASIO-compliant audio device, then you should download and install an ASIO driver that is specifically designed for that device.
If the device manufacturer does not provide an ASIO driver, then you can install a third-party ASIO driver, such as ASIO4ALL; however, a third-party driver may not support all of the device's features.
If you are not able to obtain an ASIO driver, or if you are not using ASIO-compliant audio devices, then use the Audition 3.0 Windows Sound driver.
Audition 3.0 Windows Sound is an emulated driver which uses the system DirectSound driver.
Audition 3.0 Windows Sound provides no additional device functionality beyond what the DirectSound driver offers. For example, the DirectSound driver may be limited to stereo input and output.