In ColdFusion MX 6.1 Updater 1, if you enable debug logging from the ColdFusion MX Administrator console, you may notice a slow memory leak. This becomes more obvious when you enable the debug logging in production or other heavy load situations, for example, QA load testing. This may lead to a "java.lang.OutOfMemory" error.
The behavior is caused by an interaction between ColdFusion MX and the Sun JVM with debug variable data, where the Sun JVM fails to free up the resource.
Macromedia has provided a hot fix for ColdFusion MX 6.1 Updater 1. However, we still highly recommend users not enable debug logging in the production environment or other high load situation for security and performance reasons.
Follow the instructions below to install the hot fix for ColdFusion MX 6.1 in the server configuration. For J2EE servers including JRun, use the instructions under the J2EE Configuration section.
Follow the instructions below to install the hot fix for ColdFusion MX 6.1 in the J2EE configuration with a J2EE server including JRun:
- Change the Context Parameter cf.class.path
in the Deployment Descriptor (cf_root /WEB-INF/web.xml)
for the Web Application "Macromedia ColdFusion MX" (cfusion.war)
- Note that the two paths in cf.class.path each start with a period and are separated by a comma.
- Do not confuse ./WEB-INF/lib (which contains the hot fix jar file) with ./WEB-INF/cfusion/lib (which contains cfusion.jar).
- Deployment Descriptor Context Parameters can be changed using the J2EE Administrator Control Panel (WebLogic and JRun) or by using the Application Assembly Tool (Websphere). If your J2EE server does not have such a tool, you must make sure that the Context Parameter change is made for all deployed instances of ColdFusion. It may be necessary to un-deploy CFMX, make the change, then re-deploy CFMX. See your J2EE documentation for other methods.
- Be sure to Persist (WebLogic) or Save (Websphere) your changes after you change the value for cf.class.path.
- You will usually need to stop and restart your J2EE server to make these changes effective.