Fireworks crashes on launch. An error report is generated.
You installed Fireworks on a machine that has Dreamweaver CS4 or an earlier version (CS3, MX2004, or Dreamweaver 8) installed.
Warning: This workaround will erase the site definitions in Dreamweaver. You must back up your sites in Dreamweaver before making changes described in this workaround.
To ensure that the changes you make to the registry entries does not cause any other issues, back up the Windows registry entries for Dreamweaver. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 for detailed instructions for backing up your Windows registry.
- Go to the following registry entries, according to the Dreamweaver version:
- Dreamweaver CS4: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\ Software\\Adobe\\Common\\10
- Dreamweaver CS3: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\ Software\\Adobe\\Common\\9
- Dreamweaver 8: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Macromedia\\Common\\8
- Dreamweaver MX2004: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\ Software\\Macromedia\\Common\\2004
After you have made the registry changes, when you launch Dreamweaver, your earlier site definitions do not appear in the managed sites list.
To isolate the sites that caused the launch failure for Fireworks, you should import the site definitions you backed up earlier in batches. If you have a large number of sites managed in Dreamweaver, say, 50 sites, you can import sites in batches of 10 and then launch Fireworks to check if the sites added back to Dreamweaver caused the problem. If Fireworks fails to start, it means that one of the sites that you imported into Dreamweaver was corrupted. You can then delete the sites that you imported last time, and then reconfigure the corrupted sites.
You should import the sites either one at a time (if you have only a few sites managed) or in batches (if you have a large number of sites) so that you can isolate the corrupted site.
- After each import operation, launch Fireworks. Check if Fireworks launches normally.
- If Fireworks launches normally, it means that all the sites imported are not corrupted. Proceed to import the next batch of sites into Dreamweaver.
- If Fireworks fails to launch, it means that one or more of the sites you imported is corrupted. Reconfigure the sites that you imported last, and then proceed to import the remaining sites.