The installation script installs Acrobat Distiller Server for both Sparc Solaris and Pentium Linux. It is therefore recommended to install it on a UNIX NFS file server that is accessible to other Sparc Solaris and Pentium Linux workstations on your network. To run the installation script your terminal windows should be at least 80 columns wide and 24 rows high.
To unpack and install the release do the following:
After the installation process has completed, Acrobat Distiller Server can be launched simultaneously by different users from any Sparc Solaris and Pentium Linux workstation that has access to the install directory. In the following, assume that the install directory was selected to be the shared directory: /net/foo/shared/Adobe/Acrobat
To launch Distiller, prepend this directory to your search path:
Then type "distill -usage" to get the basic usage instructions for Acrobat Distiller Server.
In the following, assume that the install directory was selected to be the shared directory: /net/foo/shared/Adobe/Acrobat
To uninstall Acrobat Distiller Server, type:
The following is a summary of all the new features that have been added to UNIX Distiller since version 6.0.1.
1) Distiller Server adds expanded support for job control.
Commands are now provided for:
- Aborting (cancelling) a job.
- Suspending (pausing) a job.
- Continuing (resuming) a job.
2) Distiller Server adds a new option for limiting the size of the log files generated by PostScript jobs.
3) Distiller Server adds new options for viewing the documentation in an external PDF viewer.
4) Distiller Server adds new options for e-mail notification when jobs complete.
5) Distiller Server adds new options for font management.
6) Distiller Server adds a new plugin architecture.
7) Distiller Server adds new options for enhanced scripting support.
8) Distiller Server adds support for an uninstaller. In previous versions Distiller Server could be uninstalled by using the UNIX "rm" command to delete all the files in the install directory. In this version you must use the uninstall command to uninstall and remove Distiller Server from your system.
9) Distiller Server add support for additional PDF settings files. It now supports these 15 predefined Adobe PDF settings files:
10) Distiller Server adds support for these new Adobe PDF Settings parameters:
11) Distiller Server adds support for these new command options:
|-date||none||Print the current date and time|
|-findfont||-findf||Find a font in the font search path|
|-listdir||-ls||List files in working directory|
List fonts in the given directory
|-maxlogfile||-mlf||Set the maximum size of log files|
|-printdir||-pwd||Print working directory|
|-useplugins||-usep||Use the installed plugins|
|-viewman||-viewm||Send PDF manpage to the PDF viewer|
|-viewhelp||-viewh||Send PDF manpage to the PDF viewer|
|-viewref||-viewr||Send PDF ref card to the PDF viewer|
|-viewlicense||-viewl||Send license.pdf to the PDF viewer|
|-viewpdfmark||-viewp||Send Pdfmark.pdf to the PDF viewer|
|-viewsettings||-views||Send Settings.pdf to the PDF viewer|
|-m||Send email when PDF file is ready|
|-mail_inc_src||-mis||Include the input file in the email|
|-mail_inc_pdf||-mip||Include the PDF file in the email|
|-mail_inc_log||-mil||Include the log file in the email|
|-mailcheck||-mlc||Validate syntax of email addresses|
|-mailrecipient||-mlr||Add email address to recipient list|
|-remopt||-remo||Delete preference sets|
|-addfonts||-addf||Add (install) fonts into ExtraFonts|
|-remfonts||-remf||Remove (uninstall) fonts from ExtraFonts|
|-showfonts||-showf||Show all fonts installed in ExtraFonts|
|-addplugins||-addp||Add (install) plugins into Plugins|
|-remplugins||-remp||Remove (uninstall) plugins from Plugins|
|-showplugins||-showp||Show all plugins installed in Plugins|
12) The following options can now be used in server mode:
13) The following options have been deprecated:
- -changepassword, -cpa
- -joboptions, -j
- -W start watch_dir
- -W stop watch_dir
- -W delete watch_dir
14) The .acrodist6 directory created in the user's home directory has been renamed to .acrodist8. This allows you to run both Distiller 6.0.1 and Distiller 8.1.0 at the same time without any interference between the two.
15) The default for the -allowfileops command line option is now "no" inversion 8.1.0. In previous releases of UNIX Distiller Server the default was "yes".
The following list of known issues and troubleshooting hints is
provided to help you use Adobe Acrobat Distiller Server 8.1.0
The installer is a C-shell script. If the C-shell (/bin/csh) is not
installed on the system, then the installer cannot run. The work-around
is to make sure that the C-shell is installed on the system .
If the filesystem for a Watched Folder gets full, it could cause the
Distiller Watched Folder process to fail and terminate. The work-around
is to make sure that the directory for the Watched Folder has plenty of free
disk space .
Distiller has limited support for PostScript files larger than 2 GBytes. For
distilling PostScript files larger than 2 GBytes you must use Distiller's
"Filter Form", where it distills from standard-in to standard-out. Distiller
cannot handle such large input files in any of the other forms ("Standard
Form", "File Pairs Form", "Server Form", "Watched Folder Form") .
Question: If I submit multiple files with the same name and then 'cancel'
that file, will all instances be deleted (1.myfile.ps, 2.myfile.ps) or do
I have to execute a 'queue' command to find their names and type them in
Answer: You will indeed have to use the queue command and cancel with the
name you see in the queue (or use 'all' to cancel them all). Once a file
has been renamed and submitted to the input queue, Distiller does not know
that file by any other name. 
If you cancel the Watched Folder "adm_start" command by typing Ctrl-C in the
shell window it may not stop the Watched Folder from initializing and you
may see some error messages in the shell window from the Distiller processes
that are trying to initialize. The work-around is to avoid cancelling the
"adm_start" command with Ctrl-C and instead wait for the Watched Folder to
finish the initialization. Then stop the Watched Folder again by using the
"adm_stop" command. 
If Distiller Server is installed as root (superuser) on a NFS server, then
the uninstall command cannot uninstall Distiller Server. The work-around is
to make sure that Distiller Server is not installed as root if the install
directory is located on a NFS server. An alternative work-around is to
choose an install directory located on the local disk of the computer. If
Distiller Server was installed as root on a NFS server and the install
directory was "/net/foo/shared/Adobe/Acrobat", the installation can be
removed manually by typing these commands in a shell window:
chmod 777 /net/foo/shared/Adobe/Acrobat/Distiller chmod 777 /net/foo/shared/Adobe/Acrobat/Distiller/* chmod 777 /net/foo/shared/Adobe/Acrobat/Distiller/*/* chmod 777 /net/foo/shared/Adobe/Acrobat/Distiller/*/*/* chmod 777 /net/foo/shared/Adobe/Acrobat/Distiller/*/*/*/* chmod 777 /net/foo/shared/Adobe/Acrobat/Distiller/*/*/*/*/* rm -f -r /net/foo/shared/Adobe/Acrobat/Distiller