This article is for developers seeking help on how to add a watermark programmatically within a PDF. A watermark is a recognizable image or pattern, a common way to identify work and discourage its unauthorized use. A visible watermark can’t prevent unauthorized use. But it makes it more difficult for people who want to claim someone else’s photo or artwork as their own.
In PDF, a watermark is text or an image that appears either in front of or behind existing document content, like a stamp. For example, you could apply a “Confidential” watermark to pages with sensitive information. You can add multiple watermarks to one or more PDFs, but it's necessary to add each watermark separately. You can specify the page or range of pages on which each watermark appears.
Specify the watermark:
- To reuse a watermark and watermark options that you saved in an earlier session, select it from the Saved Settings menu.
- To create a text watermark, select Text, and type the text in the box. Adjust the text formatting options as needed.
- To use an image as a watermark, select File. Then click Browse and select the image file. If the file has multiple pages with images, specify the Page Number you want.
To update or remove watermark choose Document > Watermark > Update, or Document > Watermark > Remove.
void PDDocAddWatermarkFromText (). This API adds a text-based watermark to a page range in the given document. The syntax of this API is as below:
void PDDocAddWatermarkFromText (
The details of parameter are below:
- PdDoc is the document onto which watermark will be added.
- TextParams is the structure describing the text-based watermark to be added.
- pParams is the structure specifying how the watermark should be added to the document.
void PDDocAddWatermarkFromPDPage (). This API adds a PDPage as a watermark to a page range in the given document. The syntax of this API is as below:
void PDDocAddWatermarkFromPDPage (
The detail of parameters is as below:
- pdDoc is the document onto which watermark will be added.
- pdPage is the page to be added as a watermark.
- pParams is the structure specifying how the watermark should be added to the document.Step text
- addWatermarkFromText(). This API adds the given text as a watermark to the specified pages in the document. For example, code below adds “Confidential” as a watermark to the center of all pages of the current document: this.addWatermarkFromText(“Confidential”, 0, font.Helv, 24, color.red);
- addWatermarkFromFile(): This API adds a page as a watermark to the specified pages in the document. For example, code below adds first page of watermark.pdf as a watermark to the center of all pages of the current document: this.addWatermarkFromFile(“/C/temp/watermark.pdf”);
For detailed explanation of all parameters, check out the API References available within the documentation folder of the Acrobat SDK.