Note: Be sure to install the recent updates for After Effects CS4. See this page for details.
After Effects CS4 system requirements are located here.
Do one of the following:
- Insert the installation disc into your drive, and follow the on-screen instructions. If the installer does not start automatically, navigate to the Adobe CS4 folder at the root level of your disk and double-click Setup.exe to start the installation process.
- If you downloaded the software from the Web, open the downloaded folder, navigate to the Adobe CS4 folder, and double-click Setup.exe to start the installation process.
- Insert the installation disc into your drive, and follow the on-screen instructions. If the installer does not start automatically, navigate to the application folder at the root level on your disk and double-click Setup Mac OS to start the installation process.
- If you downloaded the software from the Web, open the downloaded folder, navigate to the application folder, and double-click Setup Mac OS to start the installation process.
If you are installing the software as an upgrade, the installer will check your system to find a valid product from which to upgrade. If the installer cannot find a valid product from which to upgrade, the installer will ask you to enter the serial number of the product being upgraded. You can also install the software as a trial, and then enter your new and previous serial numbers when prompted when the application starts.
Known installation issues
- On Mac OS, after installation, your computer may seem slower. Restarting your computer after installation will resolve this. (#BG063142)
- On Mac OS, you cannot install to the root disk volume. (#BG044824)
- When installing on 64-bit editions of Windows Vista, an incorrect default installation location appears. The application will be installed in the correct location: C:\Program Files (x86). (#BG064131)
- The Total Size value shown in the installerâs Options screen includes space required for components required for the installation but not shown in the component list, so the number may not equal the listed componentsâ size. (#BG059229)
- The installation may take more than 1 hour, depending on the components chosen to be installed. (#BG050030)
- For more detailed information about installing, go to http://www.adobe.com/support/loganalyzer/
Note: In order to install additional components or reinstall your software after your original installation, you will need access to the original installer (from the disc or the download from the Web). Repair is not an available option.
Do one of the following:
- In Windows XP, open the Windows Control Panel and double-click Add or Remove Programs. Select the product that you want to uninstall, click Change/Remove, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- In Windows Vista, open the Control Panel and double-click Programs and Features. Select the product that you want to uninstall, click Uninstall/Change, and then follow the on-screen instructions. (If the Control Panel is not in Classic mode, double-click Uninstall A Program in Programs.)
- IMPORTANT:Do not drag applications to the trash to uninstall them. To safely uninstall on Mac OS, double-click the product installer in Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers or double-click the Uninstall alias located in the Application folder. Authenticate as an administrator, and then select Remove Components and follow the on-screen instructions.
When the application prompts you to enter a serial number at startup, enter the serial number that you received when you purchased the software. You can enter a serial number for the application itself or a serial number for any Creative Suite 4 edition that contains the application. If the product that you purchased is one of the Creative Suite editions, you can enter the serial number in any of the applications contained in the Creative Suite edition; any other applications installed as part of the same Creative Suite edition will recognize the new serial number the next time the application starts.
Only applications running as a trial will recognize the new serial number. If an application has already been activated with a different serial number, it will continue to use that serial number until you remove the older serial number using Help > Deactivate > Erase My Serial Number. Then, the next time the application starts, it will recognize the new serial number.
The serial number that you purchased is for the use of the software in a specific language, and it will only be accepted by an a product installed in that language.
Volume licensing customers cannot purchase from a trial directly, however a volume licensing serial number can be entered in the trial product. Please contact your reseller or authorized Adobe licensing center to place an order for a volume license. To find a reseller in your area, go to http://partners.adobe.com/resellerfinder/na/reseller.jsp.
This product is offered subject to your acceptance of the license agreement included with the media and to limited warranty terms. See the Adobe Software License Agreement for details. The software may automatically attempt to activate over the Internet. No personally identifiable information will be transmitted, except to the extent that IP addresses may be considered personally identifiable in some jurisdictions. To learn more, visit the Adobe web site at http://www.adobe.com/go/activation.
Note: If you want to install the product on a different computer, you must first deactivate the software on your computer. To deactivate, choose Help > Deactivate.
When you install your software, be sure to register to get up-to-date product information, training, newsletters, and invitations to Adobe events and seminars.
All font-related documentation is available through the Adobe website. Visit http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/landing/creativesuite/creativesuite4.html to find our OpenType User Guide, OpenType ReadMe document, links to font-specific documents, listings of fonts installed by the different products, and listings of fonts included on the installation disc for each of the Creative Suite 4 products.
The Creative Suite 4 installers install fonts into a default system font directory. Many of these fonts are newer versions of fonts installed by Creative Suite 3 products. If the installer finds older versions of these fonts in the default system font directory, it will uninstall the older versions and save them to a new directory.
- Mac OS: <System Disk>/Library/Fonts
- Windows: <System Disk>:\Windows\Fonts
The older fonts will be saved in the new directory:
- Mac OS: <System Disk>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/SavedFonts/current
- Windows: <System Disk>:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SavedFonts\current
The new directory will also contain a file named Read Me.html that lists the saved fonts and the version numbers of the new and old font files.
You can re-install the older fonts by deleting the new font files from the default system font directory and moving the old files back into that directory.
For information on installing additional fonts on the installation disc, see http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_fontinstall_en.
Please refer to Adobe Support for late-breaking information and known issues for all Creative Suite 4 applications.
GB18030 support for Windows XP
In order to support the display of all characters of the Chinese standard GB18030 on Windows XP, Adobe recommends the installation of the Microsoft GB18030 Support Package. This support package will update Windows XP with, among other things, fonts and input-method-editors (IMEs) to correctly support GB18030. The support package is available as a download from the Microsoft website. (#BG061690)
Adobe Customer Service provides assistance with product information, sales, registration, and other non-technical issues. To find out how to contact Adobe Customer Service, please visit Adobe.com for your region or country and click on Contact.
For Help and support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/aftereffects_community_help.
If you require technical assistance for your product, including information on complimentary and fee-based support plans and troubleshooting resources, more information is available at http://www.adobe.com/go/support/. Outside of North America, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/intlsupport/ and click on the country name in order to select your own area.
If you are having any issues with installing or uninstalling any of your Creative Suite 4 applications, please try restarting your system prior to contacting Support. For additional CS4 installation help, go to www.adobe.com/go/cs4install/.