In addition, please reference the blog post “Data Layers: From Buzzword to Best Practice,” which will give you some great info about data layers, as well as a couple of examples.
- Create a data layer standard to use on your site, which can be referenced by Adobe Launch
- Put this data layer as high as possible in the head of the page, before the call to Adobe Launch, so that the values can be used immediately by Launch, and by Adobe solutions that need to be high on the page, like Adobe Target
- Populate the data in the data layer
- In Launch, create “data elements” that reference the data points in the data layer, and which can be used throughout Launch in rules, extensions, etc.
- Use the data elements in either the Analytics extension global variables or in a rule, assigning the values into props, eVars, pageName, or other Analytics variables
- Trigger a beacon that sends the data into Analytics
The following video will walk you through the process.