What you'll need
What you learned: How position keyframes and path points are interchangeable.
Create a path
- Select a layer and use the Pen tool to create anchor points for a path.
- Click and drag to add anchor points and expose the handles.
- Move the handles to adjust the shape of the path.
Use the path to create position keyframes
- Switch to the Select tool in the Toolbar.
- Select the layer which contains the path and press M to reveal the Mask Path property.
- Select the words Mask Path and then choose Edit > Copy to copy the path.
- Select the layer to which you want to apply the path and press P to reveal the Position parameter.
- Select the word Position in the Timeline and choose Edit > Paste to add the path data as Position keyframes.
Change the timing of the animation
- Deselect all the keyframes. Then drag the first or last keyframe to change the duration of the animation along the path.
Orient the object along the path
- Press R to open the Rotation parameter, and scrub to rotate the animated layer to the proper angle on the path.
- Go to Layer > Transform > Auto-Orient, and choose Orient Along Path.