Learn how to create and edit animated brush strokes.
Create an animated brush stroke
- In the Timeline panel, double-click the layer to paint. The layer opens in the Layer panel.
- Select the Brush tool, and set the workspace to Paint.
- Set the brush options in the Brushes panel.
- Set the Duration in the Paint panel to Write On.
- Position the current-time indicator to the frame where the paint will start animating.
- Paint with the brush stroke in the Layer panel.
Adjust the brush stroke in the Timeline panel
- In the Timeline panel, select the layer that contains the paint effect, and press the U key to open any animated properties.
- Reposition the keyframes on the End property under Stroke Options to retime the speed of the paint stroke.
- Collapse and open the Paint effect to open all of the paint properties.
- Set Paint On Transparent to the desired setting.
- Adjust the blend mode of the painted layer to blend it with the background.
Create an animated fill for a specific shape
- Duplicate the layer you want to fill with a paint stroke.
- Turn off the visibility of the newly created duplicate layer in the Timeline panel.
- Paint with the brush stroke on the original layer in the Layer panel.
- Set the track matte to Alpha Matte for the lower layer that contains the brush stroke.
- Preview the animation.