What you learned: Use the Pen tool to create a layer mask to cut out an object from its background
Create a freeze frame of the frame used for the cutout
- Move the current-time indicator to the frame where the element to isolate looks the best.
- Select the layer to freeze in the timeline.
- Choose Layer > Time > Freeze Frame.
Use the Pen tool to cut out the element from its background
- Select the Pen tool from the Tools panel in the upper left.
- Add points at the key points around the object, eventually clicking back on the first point to close the mask. (Click to add a point; click and drag to add a point and draw out handles.)
- Adjust the anchor point positions and handles to fine-tune the placement of the mask.
Tip: Option-drag (macOS) or Alt-drag (Windows) a handle to break the handles and have each handle move independently on either side of the anchor point.