Boost the contrast and color in video to make it stand out.
What you'll need
This sample file is an Adobe Stock asset you can use to practice what you learn in this tutorial. If you want to use the sample file beyond this tutorial, you can purchase a license on Adobe Stock. Check out the ReadMe file in the folder for the terms that apply to your use of this sample file.
What you learned: Use color controls to make your visuals look more vibrant
Add brightness and contrast
You can use several slider controls on the Edit tab in the Color panel to add brightness and contrast to your video image.
- Add brightness to the image by dragging the Exposure slider to the right.
- Increase the video’s contrast by dragging the Contrast slider to the right.
Adjust highlights and shadows
By adjusting the highlights, you can increase or decrease the brightest parts of the image. By adjusting the shadows, you can increase or decrease how dark the shadows in your image appear.
- Increase the highlights slightly by dragging the Highlights slider to the right.
- Add more contrast by dragging the Shadows slider to the left.
How Vibrance and Saturation adjustments work
The Vibrance control works by increasing the color saturation in the least saturated parts of the image while protecting skin tones. Saturation works by increasing the saturation in all parts of the image. Therefore, it’s recommended to increase saturation only in small amounts.
- Increase the vibrance by dragging the Vibrance slider to the right.
- Increase the saturation by dragging the Saturation slider to the right.
Add some tint
Depending on the image, you may want to make some stylistic changes to make it appear more vibrant.
Drag the Tint slider to the right to add more pink tint to your video’s image or to the left to make it more green.
Cool down or warm up the image
- Drag the Temperature slider to the right to bring more warmth to your video, or drag it to the left to add more blue to make it feel colder.
Sharpen the image
- As a final touch, drag the Sharpen slider slightly to the right to add more contrast to the edges of the video’s image.
Compare the before and after
- Click the blue toggle to compare the colors in the original video with the adjusted version.
Tip: Press play first, and then click the blue toggle to compare your results while you watch the footage in your timeline.