Create nested animations with independent timelines and interactive capabilities. Symbols are elements that contain their own timeline. You can animate a symbol as a regular element on the Stage -- for example, move it from left to right. You can also animate the individual elements that make up the symbol. In other words, you can create an animation within another animation.
Symbols are reusable and can be controlled with APIs and pre-built code snippets.
For a lesson on animating with symbols:
- Select Window > Lessons in Edge Animate.
- Click Reuse.
Creating reusable animations using symbols
- In the Elements panel, select one or more elements. Selecting multiple elements creates a single symbol from them.
Note: You can also select symbols to create nested symbols.
- Right-click and select Convert To Symbol from the context menu.
- In the Create Symbol dialog box, set the Symbol Name, and click OK.
- In the Elements panel, right-click the symbol and select Edit Symbol.
You can also right-click the symbol on the Stage.
- Animate one or more of the elements making up the symbol.
- To exit symbol editing mode, click the word Stage at the top of the preview window.
- Preview the animation by clicking the Play button in the Timeline panel or by pressing the Spacebar on the keyboard.
You can copy and paste a symbol from one project to another.
- Right-click the symbol in the Elements panel and select Copy.
- Switch to another project.
- Right-click the Stage element in the elements Panel and select Paste.
You can also export symbols and their properties as a single file (.easym) that can be shared and imported into another composition.
- Select the symbols to export on the Stage or in the Library panel.
- Right-click and select Export Symbol.
- Click the Plus (+) button next to the Symbols tab in the Library.
- Browse and select the symbol file (.easym) to import.