AEM instances with old versions of S3 Datastore connector may become unavailable due to S3 access failures after the end of support for Signature Version 2 on June 24, 2019.
Amazon Web Service announced the end of support for AWS Signature Version 2 for Amazon S3. S3 will only accept API requests with AWS Signature Version 4 after that.
Affected versions of AEM and S3 connector:
- AEM 6.3 - S3 connector 1.6.0
- AEM 6.2 - S3 connector 1.4.8 or older
- AEM 6.1 - S3 connector 1.2.4 or older
Note AEM 6.4 (or later) is not affected because the S3 connector for this version (1.8.x) uses AWS Signature Verions 4 by default.
The following versions of S3 connector are AWS Signature Version 4 compatible. We recommend to update S3 connector to the most recent version by June 24, 2019.
- AEM 6.3 - S3 connector 1.6.1 or later
- AEM 6.2 - S3 connector 1.4.10 or later
- AEM 6.1 - S3 connector 1.2.6 or later
S3 connector should be found under <aem-install>/crx-quickstart/install/15. For checking your current S3 connector and updating to a newer version, see Amazon S3 Data Store configuration document.