This section povides an overview to SmartSync feature and how it minimizes server load/storage and network traffic to reduce cost.
SmartSync is the latest mechanism used by AEM Screens. It serves as a replacement of the current method used to cache offline channels and delivering them to the player.
It executes both on the server-side and client-side.
- Content of the channels, including assets, are cached in /var/contentsync.
- Cache is exposed to the players via a manifest which describes the available content for a display.
- Player updates its content based on the manifest generated above.
SmartSync feature provides a number of benefits to your AEM Screens project. It allows
- Dramatic reduction of network traffic and server side storage requirements
- Player intelligently downloads assets only if the asset is missing or changed
- Server-side and client-side storage optimizations
Adobe strongly recommends on using SmartSync for AEM Screens projects.
If you have already installed AEM 6.3 Feature Pack 5 and AEM 6.4 Feature Pack 3, you can enable SmartSync for assets to improve disk space usage. To enable SmartSync, follow the section below to transition from ContentSync to SmartSync, thus enabling SmartSync.
SmartSync is available to Screens Player with supported servers AEM 6.4.3 FP3.
Refer to the AEM Screens Player Downloads to download the latest player. The following table describes the minimum player version required for each platform:
Follow the steps below to transition from ContentSync to SmartSync if you do not have latest Feature Pack and Players (AEM 6.4 Feature Pack 3) installed:
Migrating from ContentSync to SmartSync requires clearing of ContentSync cache before activating SmartSync.
Navigate to the ContentSync console from your instance using the link http://localhost:4502/libs/cq/contentsync/content/console.html and click Clear Cache, as shown in the figure below:
All content cache must be cleared before using SmartSync for the first time.