This section is a quickstart to AEM Screens and shows how to achieve basic actions. It walks you through setting up a basic digital signage experience with content/assets and publishing to a screens player. For in-depth understanding of all the components for Screens development, see the resources at the end of the page.
The following steps allow you to create a sample project for Screens and publish content to Screens player.
Creating a new project
- Select the Adobe Experience Manager link (top left) and then Screens. Alternatively, you can go directly to: http://localhost:4502/screens.html/content/screens.
- Click Create to create a new Screens project (see the figure below).
- Select Screens from the Create Screens Project wizard and click Next.
- Enter the title as Test_Project and click Create.
Once the project is created, it brings you back to the Screens Project console. You can now select your project. In a project, there are five kind of folders namely Applications, Channels, Devices, Locations, and Schedules, as shown in the figure below.
See Creating and Managing projects in Screens for more details.
Creating a new channel
Once you have your project in place, you need to create a new channel where your content is managed.
Follow the steps below to create a new channel for your project:
- Navigate to the Test_Project you created and select the Channels folder.
- Click Create next to the plus icon in the action bar (see the figure below). A wizard will open.
- Choose the Sequence Channel and click Next.
- Enter the Name and Title as TestChannel and click Create.
See Channel Management for more details on creating and managing channels.
Creating a new location
Once you have your channel in place, you need to create your location. The locations help you compartmentalise your various digital signage experiences and will contain the configurations of the displays according to where the various screens are.
Follow the steps below to create a new location for your project:
- Navigate to the Test_Project you created and select the Locations folder.
- Click Create from the action bar (see the figure below). A wizard will open.
- Select Locations from the wizard and click Next.
- Enter the Name and Title for your location (enter the title as TestLocation) and click Create.
Once you have created a location, you need to create a new display for your location.
The display represents the digital experience that you want to run on one or multiple screens.
Creating a new display for TestLocation
- Navigate to the location where you want to create your display. Navigate to Test_Project --> Locations --> TestLocation, as shown in the figure above, and
- Select TestLocation and click Create from the action bar.
- Select Display from the Create wizard opens and click Next.
- Enter Name and Title for your display location (enter the title as TestDisplay).
- Under the Display tab, choose the details of the Layout.
- Choose the Resolution as Full HD.
- Choose the Number of Devices Horizontally as 1.
- Choose the Number of Devices Vertically as 1.
- Click Create.
A new display (TestDisplay) is added to your location named TestLocation, as shown in the figure below:
- Navigate to Locations folder -->TestLocation -->TestDisplay that you created in the preceedig step.
- Click View Dashboard in the action bar (see the figure below).
- Click the ... button on the top right of the Devices panel and choose Add Device Config.
- Select the Device config from the wizard and click Next.
- Enter the Name and Title for the device (name it as TestDeviceConfig) and click Create.
- Navigate to the display from Locations folder --> TestLocation --> TestDisplay.
- Select TestDisplay and tap/click Assign Channel in the action bar, Or,
- Click View Dashboard and select +assign channel at the top right from ASSIGNED CHANNELS panel. Channel Assignment dialog box opens.
- Enter the Channel Role as LiveStream.
- Select the path (TestProject --> Channels --> TestChannel ) in the Channel.
- Choose the Supported Events as Initial Load and Idle Screen.
- Click Save.
The channel should be created and added to the panel, as shown in the figure below:
Before you register a device, the Screens player is displayed as a pending device.
To view the pending device:
- Launch a separate browser window.
- Go to http://localhost:4502/content/mobileapps/cq-screens-player/firmware.html
- From the dashboard, navigate to TestProject --> Devices
- Click Device Manager from the action bar.
- Click Device Registration and you will see the pending devices, as shown in the figure below:
You will need to validate the code by verifying the code from the web browser.
- Click Validate to navigate to Device Registration screen.
- Enter Title and click Register and the device will be registered as shown in the figure below:
Once you have registered the device,
- Click Assign Display as shown in the figure above.
- Select the display path for your channel as /content/screens/TestProject/locations/TestLocation/TestDisplay.
- Click Assign.
- Click Finish to complete the process, and now the device is assigned as shown in the figure below:
Once you have added the above configurations, the player should automatically show the default channel for the display on your device, for example an image (in this scenario, a sequence channel).