Replace [IP] with the applicable IP for your region:
North America: 184.108.40.206
- Edit your Host or Hosts file using Notepad. On most Windows computers, Notepad is in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc folder. Note: On some computers, you find the file in the C:\WinNT\system32\drivers\etc folder. The file is named Hosts, with no filename extension. If your computer has no Hosts file, start Notepad with a blank file.
Windows 7 Users: To edit the host file, choose Start, search for “Notepad," right-click, and select Run as Administrator. Now, open the host file from the File menu, edit, and save. Add this line as the first line in the file: [IP] hostname.scene7.com. Do not change any of the other lines in this file (if any). Save it, making sure that it does not save with a .TXT filename extension. To do it from Notepad, choose File > Save As, set Save As File Type to All files. Then, ensure that the filename is Hosts and save it.
- The changes should take effect immediately. If not, restart your computer, then test it out. Note: if you want to avoid restarting, do the following: Choose Start > Run and type CMD, then click OK to open a Command Window
- Enter the command nbtstat -R (the "R" must be uppercase).
- Enter the command nbtstat -RR (both R's must be uppercase).
- Enter the command ipconfig /flushdns
Testing for success:
- Enter the command ping images.mycompany.com - you should see the IP address of the staging server, which you entered into your hosts file
- Enter the command exit to close the Command Window.
- Go to your website and confirm all the agm calls are working as expected. When you are done reviewing the staging server edit the Hosts file and remove the link, which was added. Save the file again and restart.
Mac OS X 10.2 or later
Edit the /private/etc/hosts file. For more information on how to use the hosts file, open Terminal and type: man hosts
Note: Editing this file requires root privileges.
Mac OS X 10.0 through 10.1.5
- Open /Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager.
- To allow editing the NetInfo database, click the padlock in the lower-left corner of the window.
- Enter your Admin password and click OK.
- In the second column of the browser view, select the node named "machines." You see entries for DHCP, broadcasthost, and localhost in the third column.
- The quickest way to create an entry is to duplicate an existing one. So select the "localhost" item in the third column.
- Choose Duplicate from the Edit menu. A confirmation alert appears.
- Click Duplicate. A new entry called "localhost copy" appears, and its properties are shown below the browser view.
- Double-click the value of the ip_address property and enter the IP address of the other computer: [IP] hostname.scene7.com
- Double-click the value of the name property and enter the host name you want for the other computer.
- Click the serves property and choose Delete from the Edit menu.
- Choose Save from the File menu. A confirmation alert appears.
- Click Update this copy.
- Repeat steps 6 through 12 for each additional host entry you want to add.
- Choose Quit from the NetInfo Manager menu. You do not need to restart the computer.
- Testing for success:
- Do a ping on the domain you use - you should see the IP address of the staging server, which you entered into your hosts file. http://www.wikihow.com/Ping-on-Mac-OS
- Go to your website and confirm all the agm calls are working as expected.
- With the editor of your choice, open the file from ROOT /etc/hosts.
- Add the host entry (replace with your Scene7 domain): [IP] hostname.scene7.com
- Write and quit the file
- Depending on your version you could have to restart for the updated file to take effect.
- Test the new setting by browsing to the following URL (replace with your Scene7 host name): http://hostname.scene7.com.com/is/agm/
- Do a ping on the domain you use - you should see the IP address of the staging server, which you entered into your hosts file.
- Go to your website and look at agm calls.
- When you are done reviewing the staging server, edit the Hosts file and remove the link that was added.