Gamification is the use of game thinking and game mechanics in non-game contexts to engage users in earning points while learning.
Use the gamification feature in Captivate Prime to engage learners and motivate them to achieve their goals by using gaming techniques. Learners can compete with their colleagues to score points for various learning activities and achieve bronze, silver, gold, and platinum levels.
Learners can also see the achievement level based on the points that they have earned. The levels include Fast learner, Self driven, and so on. Both internal learners as well as external learners can access this feature.
Leaderboard is a gamification feature which acts as a scoreboard to showcase the ranking scores of leading competitors. Learners can see their gamification points using Leaderboard.
From the Learner's Home page, click Gamification from the left pane. Click Leaderboard link to view the leaderboard as shown in the sample snapshot below. This feature enables the learners to understand how they are faring against a particular team member or know their ranking position relative to other members of the team.
Some of the features of Leaderboard for learners:
- Click ‘Add colleagues’ to include team member that you want to compare against. Your team member’s profile picture is added to the timeline scale at the top of the leaderboard page. This timeline scale shows your points at the beginning and moves your position to the right as and when you achieve more points than your team members. You can only compare it against other members of the same group.
- User groups: At any time you can choose your team members profiles that you want to compare your rank with, using the Rank Me With option. From the Select User Groups field, type and choose the group. The list of all the team members along with their latest points are listed below. Both internal and external users can view the list but only internal users are enabled to search other ineternal learners.
- Also, the People Around Your Rank dialog box displays the names of team members who are just above or below or at the same level as you.
- When an external user converts in to an internal user, the timeline is automatically updated.
There are five gamification tasks of learners. You can view gamification points inside the circle at the upper-right corner of the window in the Learners Home page. To view the allocation for each task, click Gamification.
The system displays the Gamification page, depicting all the learners tasks and points is shown below:
Gamification points within a particular task are not cumulative. But, the points are added to learners account cumulatively if the learners get these points across different tasks.
While assigning courses to points, administrator has to ensure that the learners get the points progressively.
For Fast learner
This task is applicable when a learner completes a specific number of courses within a month/quarter/year. This task is to encourage fast learners.
You can see the following possible scenarios:
- When learners complete two courses within a month/quarter/year, they get 20 points.
- When learners complete four courses within a month/quarter/year, they get 100 points.
- When learners complete eight courses, they get 300 points.
- When learners complete ten courses, they get 500 points.
Administrator can modify the time period and the number of courses required to complete to earn corresponding points.
Within a task, points are not accorded to learners cumulatively. For example, assume that a learner completes single course and gets 20 points. When learners complete two courses, they get 100 points but the existing 20 points are not considered.
For Self driven learner (a)
This task is applicable when learners enroll for the prescribed number of courses and complete within a month/quarter/year. In this case, Administrator can enable this task to allocate points and encourage them.
- When learners enroll for one course within a month/quarter/year, they get 50 points.
- When learners enroll for two courses within a month/quarter/year, they get 150 points.
Administrator can modify the time period and the number of courses.
For Self driven learner(b)
This task is applicable when learners enroll and complete more number of courses than required to complete in a month/quarter/year. In such cases, Administrator can enable this task to allocate points and encourage them.
Possible scenarios for learners enrollment of courses in addition to their allotted courses:
- When learners enroll for one course within a month/quarter/year, they get 20 points.
- When learners enroll for two courses within a month/quarter/year, they get 100 points.
- When learners enroll for three courses within a month/quarter/year, they get additional 300 points.
- When learners enroll for four courses within a month/quarter/year, they get additional 500 points.
Administrator can modify the time period and the number of courses. For example, the third scenario can be modified to five courses instead of three to gain 80 points.
For Upskill (a)
This task is applicable when learners complete a particular number of competencies. Administrator can choose this task to encourage learners to gain as many competencies as possible.
Possible scenarios for Upskill in competencies:
- When learners achieve one competency, they gain 100 points.
- When learners achieve two competencies, they gain 300 points.
- When learners achieve three competencies, they gain 600 points.
- When learners achieve four competencies, they gain 900 points.
Time period is not applicable for this task. Administrator can modify the number of courses for each scenario.
For Upskill (b)
This task is applicable whenever learners complete each higher level within a competency.
Possible scenarios for upskill in levels within a particular competency:
- When learners achieve one level, they get 100 points.
- When learners achieve two levels, they get 200 points.
- When learners achieve three levels, they get 500 points.
Time period is not applicable for this task. Administrator can modify the number of levels for each scenario. If learners achieve higher level and then achieve lower level of a competency, then they gain points only for the higher level.
Early completion points
This task is applicable for learners when they become first N learners to complete the course.
When a learner becomes one of the first 10 learners to complete the course he/she gets 100 points.
Timely completion points
This task is applicable for learners when they complete a course within a stipulated number of days before the course completion deadline.
When learners complete a course within 10 days of course commencement, they get 100 points.
Learners current status of Level is displayed at the upper-right corner of the page in a circle, at the My Courses page. Learners can achieve the following different levels based on the number of points achieved during learning period:
- Bronze – when learner achieves 1500 points.
- Silver – when learner achieves 2500 points.
- Gold – when learner achieves 3000 points.
- Platinum – when learner achieves 5000 points.