Blank dialog boxes and missing text from Acrobat interface
Text is missing from various Acrobat and Reader dialog boxes, such as the Preferences window, Print dialog, and Tools Pane.
Corrupt or missing Windows system fonts can cause this issue. Acrobat uses these fonts to display text in various dialog boxes.
To resolve the issue, try the following:
- Check whether the Segoe family of fonts is installed. If not, install it (especially the Segoe user interface font).
- Restore to default Windows fonts settings.
- If you have access to another computer where Acrobat dialogs appear correctly, install the fonts from the working machine to the affected machine.
Troubleshoot Segoe fonts
- Open the Fonts control panel applet.
- Locate "Segoe UI" in the list. Open it.
- Count the number of fonts in the "Segoe UI" category. The number should be at least six for Windows 7, and at least 12 for Windows 8.1.
- If the number is fewer, there's something wrong with the font installation. Two things are possible:
- The font exists, but is unregistered.
- The font doesn't exist.
- To determine what the problem is, start command prompt, and enter the following commands:
- CD C:\Windows\Fonts
- DIR SEG*UI*
- In the output, you might see seguisym.ttf and seguiemj.ttf. Ignore these. The count for the rest of the files should should match the numbers mentioned in 3. If it doesn't, then the fonts don't exist. Otherwise, it exists, but is unregistered.
- If the font doesn't exist, you may need to copy it from another computer. Copy them on the local computer, open each font, and click the "Install" button.
- If the font exists, then it's possible that the font registry entries have been corrupted. To fix this, start regedit.exe, and locate the following registry key in the tree on the left: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
- In this registry key, locate the entries that begin with "Segoe UI" in the left hand pane. Here, too, ignore "Segoe UI Symbol" and "Segoe UI Emoji". If the number of the entries here doesn't match the number in step 3, then log onto a computer which has the correct entries, and create these entries on the problematic machine.