How to Reduce Server Load by optimizing DAM Asset workflow
How do I disable Sub Asset generation for DAM assets? This feature is causing some performance degradation in CQ5/DAM and we do not use the sub assets in our application.
When some of the documents are added through DAM (For example PPT, Image, Doc, PDF) then the system automatically generates a sub asset for each page in the file. This process creates thumbnails and/or meta data for each page within a document (such as a PDF). This process can add unnecessary load to your server especially if you have documents with many pages. In an OOTB CQ5 installation these sub assets are not used for any purpose. Thus, if you are not using sub assets in your application then you may safely disable the this process.
The process below describes how to disable sub asset generation.
In order to disable sub-asset generation in CQ5.3, please follow these steps: This is done by deleting the Process Sub Asset step from the DAM Update Asset workflow.
Before deleting the workflow step, we must take a backup of the workflow model.
To backup the workflow model, do the following:
- Log into CQ5 author as admin
- Go to /etc/packages.list.html
- Click the Create Package button in the bottom right corner of the page
- Enter a Group and Name and click OK
- Add a new Filter Definition with the Path
- Click the Build button
To disable Sub Asset generation, do the following:
- Open the Workflow Administration tool by going to /libs/cq/workflow/content/console.html or by clicking the Workflow button after logging into CQ5
- Select the Models tab
- Double click the DAM Update Asset workflow model
- Delete Process Sub Asset step from DAM Update Asset workflow model.
- Click on save.
- Note that now sub asset directory won't get created for certain type of files.
Note: If you want to restore the sub asset generation step again, then do the following:
- Go to /crx web application and log in as admin
- Open CRX Explorer
- Navigate to /etc/workflow/models/dam/update_asset
- Click on Version button on top and click on Checkout (If nodes are not checked out before you install then you might get a
javax.jcr.version.VersionException: Unable to perform operation. Node is checked-in. (DocViewSAXImporter.java, line 576)exception)
- Open the CRX Package Manager
- Install the backup package
In order to disable sub asset generation on CQ5.2.1, please follow these steps:
- Create a backup package of the workflow-model to be changed
- Goto the Workflow Admin Console (/libs/workflow/content/console.html)
- In the Models tab, double-click on the DAM Asset Sync and Metadata Extractor workflow-model to edit it
- Locate the Process Subassets workflow-step and remove it
- Save the model