As a paid Creative Cloud subscriber, you get access to Typekit library of fonts for the Web and the desktop. Generally, you use the Creative Cloud Desktop app to sync Typekit fonts on your computer, but now you can actually browse and sync Typekit fonts from within InDesign.
Typekit desktop fonts are now fully integrated with InDesign. With this seamless integration, you can now easily do the following from within InDesign:
- Find missing Typekit fonts in your documents and sync those fonts from Typekit.
- Browse and add new fonts from the Typekit Website by clicking the Add Fonts from Typekit button in the Type menu.
- Find your synced Typekit fonts quicker in the Font menu with the new Typekit font filter.
Typekit fonts cannot be packaged with other fonts while creating an InDesign package file. However, they can be printed and used in digital documents, such as PDFs or EPUBs.
The major pain points around creating, editing, and managing hyperlinks have been addressed in this release of InDesign.
Creating a hyperlink in InDesign is now incredibly simple. You can create a hyperlink with just a right-click gesture. Hyperlinks now have a separate Hyperlink character style – blue and underlined. Also, InDesign now creates an affordance on non-text objects similar to the button affordance – dotted line around the object frame.
By default, InDesign applies the Hyperlink style to the selected text or object. For text, you can easily select a different style from the Style drop-down. For a non-text object, InDesign applies a design time visual identifier to the links – dotted line around the object with the color inherited from layer color.
The Edit Hyperlink dialog used to default to the Shared Destination, and it was quite confusing. Now the Edit feature is available on right-click and the dialog automatically points to the type of hyperlink you are editing.
To edit an existing hyperlink, right-click the selected text or object and then choose Hyperlinks > Edit Hyperlink. The Edit Hyperlink dialog box is displayed with an appropriate type of link already selected.
We have revamped the Hyperlinks panel to make it more convenient for you to manage your hyperlinks using the panel.
- Added traffic lights to quickly check and provide instant feedback on URL availability: Green indicates a valid URL and red indicates an invalid URL. Clicking the light icon takes you to the destination.
- Added page numbers similar to the Links panel: Clicking a page number takes you to the page where the link is and selects the link.
- Clicking on other icons, such as email or anchor, takes you to the destination.
- Added refresh control to refresh URL availability manually.
- Links pointing to the same destination are grouped together.
More on Simplified Hyperlinks (video)
Many significant improvements and enhancements have been made to the EPUB capability of InDesign. (To see the list of all changes, refer to InDesign_EPUB_Changes_CC_9.0_to_9.2.pdf.)
Create footnotes that popup over the page you’re reading
You now have a new control for iBooks Reader pop-up footnotes – Inside a Pop-up footnote placement option for EPUB3. The Footnote Placement option on the EPUB export options dialog has been changed to display a drop-down listing the placement options.
This new option changes the markup of the footnote reference and the footnote content wrapper to enable pop-up footnotes in iBooks Reader. The footnote text becomes visible only when a reader touches the footnote reference.
More accurate representation of exported text color, tables, and nested styles
InDesign now successfully maps Color attributes including tint in Paragraph styles to CSS properties. Now the Gradient Colors are also supported when applied using a paragraph style.
InDesign now successfully emits the markup for an applied Cell Style including the class associated with the style. Also, regional cell styles, in addition to an applied Cell Style and Cell Attributes overrides, are now emitted and exported properly.
We have improved support for Nested Styles and Dropcaps by resolving important issues around them:
- Nested Styles are now fully supported.
- Font embedding for Dropcaps works fine now. Also, the dropcap’s float property now respects paragraph direction.
Improved CSS handling of native InDesign objects, images, and groups
Transforms applied on objects, such as rotation on an object containing a graphic, are now successfully mapped to CSS. InDesign now precisely maps the transforms to the generated CSS for graphic, audio and video object content, and groups.
Example: Transforms applied on a graphic and how it maps to CSS
Improved handling of bullets and numbering
Custom bullets with GID and Font are now replaced with standard bullet character. Font embedding for custom bullets is also supported now. For EPUB3 exports, we now support additional CSS list-style-type values.
Support for additional list types and text align last within CSS properties
InDesign now supports additional CSS properties for CJK and ME - list-style-type(s), -epub-text-align-last, and gradients on paragraphs.
- The Use Original Image option is added to the Object Export Options dialog box and the EPUB Export Options dialog box. This new control requests that the export must use the placed image rather than the rasterized image.
- The Settings Apply to Anchored Objects option is removed from the Image options of the EPUB Export dialog box.
More on EPUB enhancements (video)
- The recent document list will not automatically clear out when you apply updates.
Note: This will take effect for updates done after InDesign CC 9.2.0.
- The Color Theme setting does not automatically get reset to Medium Dark when you apply updates.
InDesign now displays the name of the currently active preflight profile in the document status bar, allowing you to change it from right there.
In the previous versions of InDesign, if you had a document with multiple cross-references to other documents, you would notice a lag in typing text in your document. This especially happens when the cross-references are pointing to multiple docs and those docs are not open.
This issue has been fixed now. You won’t notice any lag in typing text in your document even though all the referenced docs are not open.