Open Lightroom Classic on your computer. In the Library module, click the Import... button to open the Import window.
Note: If you've inserted a camera memory card into your computer, the Import window may open automatically.
You can import from your computer, an external hard drive, or a camera into your Lightroom Classic catalog.
Importing from a computer or hard drive:
- On the left, select the hard drive and folder(s) of photos to import. If you don't see your photos, make sure Include Subfolders is checked.
- In the middle of the Import window above the image thumbnails, click Add to import without moving the photos to a new location.
- In the upper-left corner of the thumbnails, you can uncheck any photos you don't want to import.
- In the right-hand panel, you can choose additional import options.
Importing from a camera
- On the left, select the camera memory card from which to import. Enable Eject after import to unmount the card from your computer when the import is finished.
- At the top of the window above the thumbnails, click Copy (this may already be selected when you import from a memory card). The Add and Move options are not available when importing from a camera or a camera memory card.
- Click the checkboxes on the thumbnails to uncheck photos you don't want to import.
- Use the Destination panel to organize your imported photos (by date, into one selected folder, or by subfolders), and preview the import destination in your file structure. Set other import options in the right-hand panel.
Click the Import button in the bottom-right corner of the Import window to start the import process. Lightroom Classic automatically switches to the Library module, where the imported photos appear.
After your photos have been imported, they will appear in a Previous Import collection in the Catalog panel on the left side. You can also open the Folders panel to see the folder where the photos are stored on your hard drive.
Presenter and Photographer: Seán Duggan