Adobe Analytics uses browser cookies to identify unique visitors, and timestamps to identify visits. Some actions a visitor to your site can affect visit/unique visitor counting; others do not.
The following list assumes cross-device visitor identification is not used, which can link visitors based on a unique identifier set on your organization's site.
Visits are typically consecutive page views that occur within 30 minutes of each other. These consecutive hits must use the same unique visitor identifier, set in the visitor's browser. If a visitor to your site performs any of these actions, a new visit starts:
- Clears their cache mid-session and continues browsing your site
- Leaves your site open in a tab for longer than 30 minutes, then continues browsing
- Opens a different browser and navigates to your site on the same computer
- The same person browsing your site on different devices
- Closes their browser and navigates to your site again in the same browser
- Restarts their computer, opens the same browser, and navigates to your site again
- Transitions to a different network, such as disconnecting from a wired network docking station to a wireless network
Unique visitor identifiers are stored in a browser cookie. These cookies have an expiration of about five years, longer than any cookies reasonably last. If a visitor to your site performs any of these actions, a new unique visitor is counted:
- Clears their cache at any time
- Opens a different browser on the same computer. One unique visitor is counted per browser.
- The same person browsing your site on different devices. A separate unique visitor is counted across each device.
- Opens a private browsing session (such as Chrome's Incognito tab)
- Closes their browser for an extended period
- Upgrades their browser to the latest version
If you have any concerns or questions as to what constitutes a new visit or unique visitor, you can create your own testing environment:
- Create a report suite within Adobe Analytics' Admin Tools
- Create a blank HTML page with AppMeasurement code implemented
- Navigate to the web page, exhibiting the behavior you want to observe (such as leaving the site inactive for a time, or restarting your computer).
- Wait at least 60 minutes for the visit to finish processing
- Navigate to a report in Adobe Analytics using Visits and Unique Visitors as a metric