How to setup cold standby instance in AEM
AEM 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 and later versions
1. Setup a directory for the standby instance for the Cold Standby setup.
2. Shutdown the primary instance and backup the crx-quickstart directory.
3. Restart the primary instance.
4. Copy /crx-quickstart directory from the primary instance over to standby directory
Note: This should already contain /install folder plus the other configurations
5. Search for sling.id file in /crx-quickstart directory and delete it.
6. Start the standby instance with java -jar quickstart.jar -r standby,crx3,crx3tar and wait for the instance to be up and running.
7. Navigate to the Web Console at: http://host:port/system/console/configMgr and search for:
a. Apache Jackrabbit Oak TarMK Cold Standby for 6.0-6.2 service to observe the mode and other configuration are correct and in accordance to primary instance.
b. Apache Jackrabbit Oak Segment Tar Cold Standby Service for 6.3+ service to observe the mode and other configuration are correct and in accordance to primary instance.
Note: If the above configuration still shows the mode as primary, change this to standby, save the configuration and restart the standby AEM instance. This is a one-time action required at setup time since the instance was copied from primary.
8. Navigate to http://host:port/system/console/status-slingsettings to confirm proper standby runmode is stated.
9. Tail error.log and tarmk-coldstandby.log to see more communication between the primary and standby instance.
Test the standby setup:
If any issues arise verify the standby instance with steps below: