You can quickly share a link to a PDF document with others for viewing or commenting. The document shared as a link opens in any browser, on any device. The document is stored securely in Adobe Document Cloud. Recipients get an email with a link, and they can click the link to view and comment on the document in a browser; no sign-in required.
Adobe is testing a new PDF sharing experience in Acrobat DC. If the steps listed in this document don't match your version of Acrobat, see Share and track PDFs online | New experience.
The detailed tracking information is available for files shared using a personalized link to individuals.
An anonymous or public link makes the files accessible to anyone who clicks the link. Also, the detailed tracking information is not available for files shared using public links.
In the Send As Attachment section, do one of the following:
- Choose Default Email Application, and click Continue.
- Choose Webmail. In the Select Option drop-down list, choose one of the following:
- Add Gmail: Enter your email address, and click Continue. Enter the password, and grant permissions when prompted.
- Add other: Enter your email address, password, and IMAP/SMTP mail server settings. Click Add.
The Name and Message fields are just like the ones you use for sending an email and appear to your recipients in the same way. Enter the desired information and do one of the following:
- (Optional) To explore advanced options including signer authentication, reminders,and more, click More Options.
- To add form fields and specify where to sign, click Continue.
The Adobe Sign window is displayed. Enter the information as prompted. For more information, see Get documents signed by others.
Recipients get an email notifying them that the file is shared with them. The email contains the Open button and a link to the shared document. Clicking the link or the button opens the document in a browser. Recipients can also download the document if necessary.
See the example screenshot below showing the email notification received by a recipient.
The files that you have recently shared are listed in Home > Recent. When the recipient views the file, you get a notification in Acrobat and an email. To view and track all the files shared for viewing, do the following:
Click Home. In the Shared section, do one of the following:
- To view the files shared by you for view or review, click Shared By You.
- To view the files received for view or review, click Shared By Others.
All the files shared for viewing are displayed along with the following information:
Name:Name of the file shared for view.
- Status: Shows the number of people who have viewed the file.
- Last Activity: The timestamp of the file sent or received for viewing.
To view the details of a file, select the file. A thumbnail of the file is displayed in the right pane. The action board in the right pane displays the actions you can perform on the file. The displayed actions vary based on whether you have shared the file, or received the file for viewing as shown below:
- View the activity and timestamp on the shared file. Expand Activity to view the details like Created By, Sent To, Viewed By and Downloaded By the recipients.
- Unshare File if you would like to prevent anyone else from viewing or downloading the file.
- Copy Shared Link and share with other recipients for viewing.
- Delete Shared File to remove the file permanently from the Adobe Document Cloud.
- Download the file to your device.
- View the timestamp of the file received.
- Copy Shared Link to either share it with other recipients or open the file on browser.
- Download the file to your device.
- Remove Link From Document Cloud to remove the file permanently.
- Report Abuse for any inappropriate content received.