Design elements for a website
Interested in learning the hacks of designing clean website layouts and elements? You're at the right place!
Adobe Illustrator provides you a pixel-perfect design environment to create flexible and free-flowing web elements. It offers you everything you need to create a clean and crisp web layout – vector graphics, responsive media icons, scalable components, CSS generation, SVG export, wireframes, and reusable symbols.
Adobe XD – Adobe's latest all-in-one vector-based UX/UI solution for designing websites, mobile apps, and more.
5 Principles for effective web layouts
To create a quality web experience, ensure that you pay special attention to the following web design elements:
- Easy navigation with fewer clicks
- Optimum and balanced use of screen space, device-independent display
- Minimal and clean structure - use of grids, tiles, cards
- Appealing and engaging visual graphics
- Clear yet artistic typography
Before you start
Any artwork you design in Illustrator typically revolves around the following design themes:
- Shapes & paths
- Colors & patterns
- Text & fonts
- Images & special effects
Want to learn more? See Essentials components of a website.
Set up a web document
To set up a web document:
- Choose File – Open. In the New Document dialog box, click the Web tab. From the list of presets, choose a web document type that suits your requirements.
- Preview and download a sample template.
Design a responsive web page
With the ever-expanding technology, it's important to design a website that responds seamlessly on any OS platform, screen size, and device orientation.
To create a responsive web layout, consider the following elements:
- Flexible grids and layouts to design a website layout that can be resized to any screen width, such as desktop, tablet, mobile.
- Scalable media, which includes images, videos, and similar formats.
- Dynamic media queries to add specific styles for web browsers and devices.
Create a website wireframe or structure
A clean and structured website attracts more visitors. When you design a website layout:
- Begin with designing the website wireframe to visualize different screen elements and place them in an organized manner on your web page.
Tip: You can add tiles or cards for easy navigation and modern look.
- When the first-level user-interface is created, proceed with populating the content and other artistic elements.
Tips & tricks for an organized web layout
- For smoother look and feel, slice the website into relevant sections. Choose Object – Slice.
- Use rulers, grids, and guides to check and test reference areas and adjust screen elements.
- Choose View – Guides.
- Choose View – Show Grid.
- Choose View – Rulers.
- To create a precise visual outline, place rectangle objects or text components on the web page to divide the screen into relevant sections.
- While you focus on the main content of the web page, do not forget to add a creative logo, inspiring hero image, tagline, mission statement, whichever is applicable.
- To save the website structure, choose Export – Save for Web (Legacy). You can also choose the slices you want to show in the saved file.
Design a web banner
Running a marketing campaign to promote and advertise the products or services on your website? Create an eye-catching banner within minutes!
To create a web banner, do the following:
- Choose the right document size, typically the A4 document works well for banners.
- Create a banner outline with the help of the Rectangle tool and specify appropriate dimensions.
- Add graphics, text, gradient, and be as creative as you want.