Explore transition effects in Adobe Premiere Rush.
What you'll need
This sample file contains Adobe Stock assets you can use to practice what you learn in this tutorial. If you want to use the sample file beyond this tutorial, you can purchase licenses on Adobe Stock. Check out the ReadMe file in the folder for the terms that apply to your use of this sample file.
What you learned: Use transitions to suggest the passing of time
Apply transitions, and adjust transition duration and placement to blend abrupt cuts and make footage more engaging.
Apply a transition
Available transitions include the Cross Dissolve, Dip to Black, and Dip to White.
- To apply a transition to both the start and end of a clip, position the playhead over the clip in the sequence to select it. Open the Transitions panel and, under Presets, choose a transition preset.
- To apply a transition to the start or the end of a clip, rather than to both edit points, drag a preset from the Transitions panel and drop it at the start or end of the clip.
- To apply a transition at every cut point between all clips, select all the clips in the sequence, and then choose a transition preset from the Transitions panel.
Change transition duration
You can change the duration of a transition in the Edit tab of the Transitions panel or in the sequence.
- With a transition selected in your sequence, go to the Edit tab of the Transitions panel and move the Duration slider or enter a numeric value for the duration.
- Alternatively, in the Timeline, move a transition’s handles to adjust the duration.
Change transition placement
- In the sequence, drag a transition left or right to begin the effect earlier or later.
Delete a transition
- Select the transition in the Timeline, and press Delete on the keyboard.
Tip: If you want to change an existing transition’s type, select the transition in the sequence and choose a different type in the Transitions panel. The location and duration of the effect are unchanged.
Adobe Stock contributors: Piotr, PRPicturesProduction, ATW Media, forrestbrown
Presenter: Christine Steele