Welcome to Adobe® InDesign® CS5. This document contains known issues and troubleshooting tips not covered in the InDesign documentation.
Please refer to Adobe Support for late-breaking information and known issues for all Creative Suite 5 applications.
- Using certain CTRL/CMD modifier key shortcuts with an extension panel open (e.g. kuler, Search for Help, Connections Home) will result in garbage characters (Win) or the shortcut itself (Mac) appearing in the input field instead of the desired command being executed. (#BG095705)
- Fonts that are hidden/disabled in Windows 7 are still listed in the InDesign Fonts Menu and are usable. (#BG081881)
- Exporting text containing double-byte characters to the Buzzword service results in missing glyphs in the Buzzword online document. Note that the Buzzword service does not support double byte characters at time of InDesign CS5 release. (#2367410)
- Round-tripping text containing double-byte characters to and from the Buzzword service results in missing glyphs in the InDesign document. To fix this, re-apply the original double-byte font. (#2367410)
- Extension Manager displays extension paths in English instead of the localized path. This is a display issue only, plug-in files can still be correctly installed. (#BG093507)
- PICT file placed into InDesign document shifts on the page when Overprint Preview is turned on. This is a screen display issue and only happens the first time Overprint Preview is selected. Subsequent selections of this option do not trigger the behavior. (#2498853)
- InDesign takes a long time or enters a non responsive state when cancelling the save of a very large document (hundreds of pages), if Always Save Preview Images was selected under File Handling Preferences. (#2530281)
- Text frames scale or rotate off center with certain text attributes or optical margin alignment is applied. As a workaround, either group the text frame with a larger graphic frame and apply rotation or scale to that group. (#2539854)
- PICT files are not listed under Importable Files. They can still be placed successfully. (#2459866)
- Self-click animations located close to page corners are difficult to trigger if page curl is enabled. If page curl is turned off, the self-click animation behaves normally and can be triggered with one click. (#2447777)
- Animations placed on the pasteboard of a master page do not play when previewed on a document page. To work around, place the object so that it is barely touching the page edge and choose Hide Until Animated. Or, place the object on the page, apply Move Left, and then choose Animate To Current Appearance. (#2532603)
- Live corner shape edit diamonds are not available for rectangular buttons. As a workaround, double click to select individual elements of the button and then enter the corner edit mode by clicking the live corner (yellow) button. (#2375720)
- Placing InDesign files into InDesign files results in an inflated file size. Perform a Save As in order to reduce the file size. (#2536202)
- Importing an .xls file containing GB18030 characters results in missing glyphs. As a workaround, change the font of the file to Arial Unicode MS or SimSun-18030 before importing to InDesign. (#1840859)
FLA/SWF Export Issues
- Some document installed fonts shift vertically when the file is exported to FLA and then opened in Flash Authoring. The workaround is to install the needed font into the system font folder and then replace that font in the document. (#2487723)
- Text position in a FLA file exported from InDesign with TLF Text option selected is higher on the page when opened in Flash. As a workaround, set it as lineHeight or manually set it as a number that matches in Flash Authoring. (#2523394)
- Some Transparency Effects (Outer Bevel, Outer Glow, Emboss, and Pillow Emboss) applied to text that is over another transparent object render incorrectly to SWF Preview and FLA export. For example, the background is lighter in color. As a workaround, change the screen mode applied to the highlight to normal, or remove the opacity on the background element and replace it with a 33% tint. (#2536205)
- When viewing a placed SWF's animation in the Preview Panel, animation restarts itself before fully completed. The SWF does export correctly however. (#2382094)
- Multi-state objects in an InDesign document exported to FLA and then exported to SWF from Flash Authoring continuously cycle through states in the exported movie. This is expected behavior, and ActionScript can be added in Flash Authoring to stop the animation. (#2496987)
GB18030 support for Windows XP (Chinese Simplified version only)
In order to support the display of all characters of the Chinese standard GB18030 on Windows XP systems, Adobe recommends the installation of the Microsoft GB18030 Support Package. This support package will update an XP system with, among other things, fonts and input-method-editors (IMEs) to correctly support GB18030. The support package is available as a download from the Microsoft website. (#BG061690)
SetNewUIfont and ClearNewUIfont for GB18030-2000 standard support
On Microsoft® Windows® XP, set the registry to enable 4-byte GB18030-2000 characters in the UI by running the registry script file "SetNewUIfont.reg". This will only affect UI in InDesign and not your OS. The registry script is an optional procedure and doesn’t need to be run unless there is a need to display 4-byte characters in the UI.
Note: This work around will not work for the dialogs managed by the operating system (i.e. Open, Save...etc).
To set the UI font to enable 4-byte GB18030-2000 characters: