Objects in placed InDesign files disappear when printed or exported to PDF from InDesign CS4. These itemsare left hand master page items inlinked InDesign file(s).
Here is a typical example of a workflow that replicates this issue:
1. Create a 4 page document.
2. On both A-Master pages, create an object (filled with color).
3. On all document pages, create a rectangle and fill with color.
4. Save doc as 'doc1.indd'.
5. Create a new 4 page document.
6. Place all pages of doc1.indd into the new document.
7. Print or export to PDF.
The resulting output will display but all left master page items are missing.
This is due to an error in calculating the coordinates for the page items. The items may actually be included in the resulting print or PDF data streams, but are positioned outside of the page boundaries.
Download updates from the Adobe website at http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates.