Obtaining a physical signature is sometimes required. It could be for legal or compliance requirements, policy positions or simply because one or both parties are more comfortable with signatures in a physical format.
The Adobe Sign Written Signature workflow supports obtaining physical signatures, while ensuring proper access control, maintaining the quality and clarity of the final document, and leveraging the benefits of electronic processing and auditing.
For Signers, the Written signature workflow closely resembles the Electronic workflow up to the point that they have to print off the document to apply their signature:
- The Recipient is notified via email with a link to the document.
- The Recipient opens the document electronically, and they are presented first with a 3-step summary of their process:
- The Recipient is able to fill in any form fields that are requested/required
- When ready, the Recipient clicks the Next button to advance to the Download instructions:
- The Recipient clicks the Download button to download the document, complete with their field content.
- A window opens asking the Recipient to either open or save the file
- With the PDF open, Print the PDF pages
- Physically sign the document
- Scan the document back into digital form
- Adobe Sign accepts the file back in any normally accepted format (PDF, JPG, GIF, TIF, BMP).
- Adobe Sign only accepts one file, so if you have multiple images, you need to concatenate them into one file.
- Clicking the link in the original “Please Sign” email opens the interface to Upload the file (or Download it again if needed)
- Clicking the Upload to submit button opens a window for the Signer to browse to the file they want to upload on the local system
- Once the file is uploaded, the Recipient is done, and the Agreement moves to the next signer, or completes the process
When account settings are configured to do so, signers can elect to change their signature from Electronic to Written format.
In the signer’s view, after opening the agreement, there is an Options list at the top-left of the window.
Within this list is the option to Print, sign and upload which converts the signature workflow to Written workflow for all subsequent recipients.
The signer will then be prompted to complete the written signature process described above.
For the Written Signature to be available:
- Navigate to Account > Account Settings > Send Settings
- Scroll down to Allowed Signature Types
- Check the option to Allow senders to send documents for Written signature
- Click Save to commit the change
If you are using Limited Document Visibility (Account > Account Settings > Global Settings), you need to explicitly enable Written Signature in those settings before the Written option will appear on the Send page.
Any Agreement sent using both Limited Document Visibility and the Written signature workflow will ignore the Document Visibility settings, and will present the entire document for the signer.