The Auto Import feature automatically imports photos into a Lightroom Classic CC catalog or a collection by monitoring a watched folder for photos and then importing them into a catalog. After you specify auto-import settings, you can simply drag photos into the watched folder, and Lightroom Classic CC imports them automatically, allowing you to bypass the import window.
Auto Import is useful if Lightroom Classic CC doesn’t support your camera for tethered import: You can use your camera's software to download photos from your camera to a watched folder.
If Lightroom Classic CC starts automatically when you attach a camera or card reader to your computer and you want to turn off this functionality, change your import preferences. See Set import preferences.
Chooses or creates the watched folder where Lightroom Classic CC detects photos to auto import. The folder you specify must be empty. Auto Import does not monitor subfolders in a watched folder.
Names the auto-imported photo. See Naming options.
Select Standard from the Initial Previews menu to have Lightroom Classic CC render previews of the imported photos rather than only using the embedded previews in the photo files. See Specify initial previews.
- To create a watched folder, click Make New Folder and then overwrite New Folder to give the folder a name (Windows), or click New Folder (Mac OS), give the folder a name, and click Create.
- To select an existing watched folder, select the folder.
You can't choose an existing folder that contains photos as a watched folder.
When Lightroom Classic CC detects photos added to a watched folder, the photos are moved into a destination folder and can be imported into the catalog, or to a collection.
In the Browse For Folders (Windows) or Open (Mac OS) dialog box, navigate to the location you want, and do any of the following:
- To create a destination folder, click Make New Folder and then overwrite New Folder to give the folder a name (Windows), or click New Folder, give the folder a name, and click Create (Mac OS).
- To select an existing destination folder, select the folder.
In the Information area of the Auto Import Settings dialog box, do any of the following:
- To apply Develop settings to auto-imported photos, choose a preset from the Develop Settings menu. See Create and apply Develop presets.
- To apply metadata to auto-imported photos, choose a preset from the Metadata menu. See Create a metadata preset.
- To apply keywords to auto-imported photos, type in the Keywords text box. Use commas to separate the keywords.
- To have Lightroom Classic CC render previews of the imported photos rather than only using the embedded previews in the photo files, choose Initial Previews > Standard.