Average Time Spent on Site is the amount of time (in minutes) users have spent on your site across all visits. Though Average Time Spent on Site is not its own metric report in Adobe Analytics, this information is still available through several capabilities.
Adobe Analytics processes Time Spent metrics much differently in version 14. For a detailed explanation and comparison, see Updated Time Spent Calculation.
The Report Builder Excel add-in can retrieve Average Time Spent on Site aggregated across a date ranged, or trended over time. If graphing is required, use Microsoft Office's Charting Tools.
- Open Microsoft Excel and log in to report builder.
- Click Create under the Add-ins tab.
- Select the correct report suite, date range, and granularity.
- Ensure that the report is set to Site Metrics > Traffic Report. Click Next.
- Drag the Average Time Spent on Site metric to the Metrics canvas.
- Select the insert location, then click Finish. Average Time Spent on Site is shown in minutes.
- Use Excel's charting tools to create the graph, if desired.
Adobe Marketing Cloud Customer Care does not support Excel's charting tools. If you require assistance on these tools, contact Microsoft support.
Ad Hoc Analysis can pull this data with ease. In addition, it allows a user to see many metrics side-by-side, making this method the most flexible and valuable in reporting.
- Open Ad Hoc Analysis and select the desired report suite and date range.
- Open a Page Views report, and drag the metric Time Spent per Visit to your workspace.
- The resulting report gives the number of seconds spent on your site for each day.
Reports & Analytics users have the Average Time Spent on Site metric automatically integrated into the Site Overview report. Users can also obtain this data in a Report Suite Summary reportlet:
- Open an existing dashboard editor or Create a new dashboard.
- In the left reportlet menu, navigate to Add Content > Custom Reportlets > Data Content > Report Suite Summary. Drag the Report Suite Summary reportlet to an available location on your dashboard canvas.
- Ensure that Average Time Spent on Site is one of the selected metrics in the column on the right.
- Click Update within the reportlet, then save the dashboard. Average Time Spent on Site is shown in minutes.
- Add a prop, and label it "Average Time Spent on Site".
- Implement the following value so it triggers on every page. This step is done by direct code implementation or processing rules:
- Once completed, give the variable some time to gather data, then go to this custom traffic report within the Custom Traffic folder.
- Click Add metrics, and select Average Time Spent on Page.
- The resulting report consists of a single line item, Entire Site, providing you with the Average Time Spent on Site metric (in minutes).
You can then manipulate this report as you would like, such as bookmarking it, adding it as a dashboard reportlet, or trending it. Though the metric is still technically named Time Spent on Page, this method allows Reports & Analytics to treat your entire site as a single page.
Adobe Analytics offers this data via a downloadable spreadsheet called a Data Extract. To create this report, follow the steps below:
- Go to Site Metrics > Page Views.
- In the report toolbar, click More Actions > Extract Data
- In the pop-up window, ensure that the report specifies Report Suite Totals and click the Page Views link. Another pop-up window appears.
- Select Average Time Spent on Site from the list of available metrics and add it to the report, then click OK.
- Modify the date range, additional metrics, and granularity as desired, then click Next.
- If you want to save these Extract settings for future use, select Save Bookmark, and name the report.
- Enter the desired delivery settings, then click Send.
You then receive an email with a spreadsheet attached that contains the average time spent on your site metric, as shown in minutes.