Welcome to Adobe Illustrator — a clean, modern app for creating your graphic design, business or brand identity including logos, icons, and more on the go.
The workspace is composed of the following:
- The toolbar on the left contains tools you’ll use to create and edit content.
- The Layers panel in the upper-right is where you can organize, show, hide, and lock content.
- The Properties panel in the upper-right shows editable properties for selected content, like position, size, text formatting, and more.
- In the Taskbar on the right, you can find functionality for arranging or ordering content, combining shapes — called pathfinders, path editing, and more.
Move around in the document
- Two finger pinch zooms in. Spread two fingers apart to zoom out.
- Two finger drag pans in the document window.
Drawing and editing
- The Selection tool is for moving and transforming artwork and the Direct Selection tool is for selecting and editing the anchor points that control the shape of a path or shape.
- There are a series of shape tools for creating different types of shapes.
- The touch shortcut is used when drawing and editing to add more functionality to a tool.
- Change the fill and stroke color for selected artwork in the toolbar on the left.
- The Pencil tool and its smoothing setting are used to create more freeform paths. The Pen tool offers more precision when drawing.
Add and format text
- Tap or drag with the Type tool to add placeholder text.
- Control basic formatting of selected text in the common actions bar beneath the text.
- For more formatting options, like changing the font family, open the Properties panel in the upper-right.
Export and share
- Tap Publish and export in the upper-right to save the document in a variety of formats, including native Illustrator (.AI), JPEG, PNG, and native Photoshop (.PSD)
Presenter: Brian Wood