What you learned: Using the Pen tool, create a geometric icon to use as the basis for a pattern you create, apply to artwork, and edit
Create a geometric icon
To start, create a geometric icon from a shape underneath the path.
- Draw a straight line over the shape with the Pen tool by clicking to add points.
- Add a point to the path by clicking on the path.
- With the Direct Selection tool, drag the point you added into the center of the shape.
- With the path selected, choose Object > Path > Divide Objects Below to divide the shape into two.
- Using the Pen tool, create a vertical path to divide the bottom shape into two shapes using the same Divide Objects Below command.
With the shape divided into three shapes, you can apply a fill color to each.
Create a pattern
In Illustrator, a pattern is artwork that is repeated in order to join seamlessly. When you create a pattern, it is saved as a pattern swatch in the Swatches panel. You can make a pattern from existing artwork, or you can create a pattern first and add artwork later.
To create a pattern, do either of the following:
- Select artwork, and choose Object > Pattern > Make.
- Choose Object > Pattern > Make, and then add artwork.
When creating a pattern, you work in Pattern Editing mode. In Pattern Editing mode, the Pattern Options panel opens. You see a preview of the repeating pattern in the document window, and the pattern is saved as a pattern swatch in the Swatches panel. A gray bar along the top of the document window has options for saving the pattern (Done), making a copy of the pattern (Save a Copy), or canceling the operation.
Edit pattern options
In Pattern Editing mode, a blue pattern tile (box) surrounds the artwork. Anything within the bounds of the pattern tile, by default, repeats to create the pattern. You can add, remove, or edit the artwork in the pattern tile.
In the Pattern Options panel, you can do the following and more:
- Name the pattern.
- Choose a Tile Type, or choose how the pattern repeats.
- Size the pattern tile to the artwork.
- Change the width and height of the pattern tile.
- Set how the artwork overlaps.
When finished editing the pattern options and the artwork, click Done in the gray bar at the top of the document window to save the pattern changes.
Apply the pattern swatch to artwork
You can apply the pattern swatch you created to the fill and/or stroke of artwork.
- Select the artwork, and click the Fill color or Stroke color in the Properties panel.
- With the Swatches option selected, click the pattern swatch to apply it.
Edit the pattern swatch
In order to further edit the pattern, again enter Pattern Editing mode:
- With the artwork selected, click either the Fill color or Stroke color in the Properties panel (whichever you applied the pattern swatch to).
- With the swatches showing, double-click the pattern swatch.