Hva du trenger
What you learned: Create large type forms using text and formatting, and wrap text around those type forms to create a stylized book cover
Create a large letter as a design element
To start, create a large character to use as a design element.
- Select the Type tool and draw a large text frame to contain a letter. Type a single letter.
Format the large letter
To make the letter large enough to use as a design element, you can change the text formatting, including the size and font family.
- Select the frame and the Selection tool by pressing the Escape key.
- Make sure that the text frame is selected. Then, in the Properties panel, change the font size and color, and apply a new font, such as an Adobe font. You can choose from the thousands of Adobe fonts available.
Note: In order to change the fill color of the text with the frame selected and not the text, click the Fill color in the Properties panel and ensure that the Text option is chosen from the Apply To menu.
Tip: If the text frame is too small to show the entire letter, you can drag a corner of the text frame until you see the letter.
Wrap text around the large letter shapes
Another design element in the book cover is text wrapped around the large letter forms. To do this effectively, the text should be converted to outlines. That way, the text can wrap around the edge of the text and not around the frame surrounding it.
- With the text selected, choose Type > Create Outlines. The text is now a group of shapes.
- Select all of the large letter forms by Shift-clicking each.
- To apply text wrap to each frame, choose Window > Text Wrap to open the Text Wrap panel. Click the Wrap Around Object Shape option.
- To push the text away from the large letters, increase the Offset value in the Text Wrap panel.