What you learned: Use transitions to suggest the passing of time
Apply transitions, and adjust transition duration and placement to blend abrupt cuts and make footage more engaging.
Apply a transition
Available transitions include the Cross Dissolve, Dip to Black, and Dip to White.
- To apply a transition to both the start and end of a clip, position the playhead over the clip in the sequence to select it. Open the Transitions panel and, under Presets, choose a transition preset.
- To apply a transition to the start or the end of a clip, rather than to both edit points, drag a preset from the Transitions panel and drop it at the start or end of the clip.
- To apply a transition at every cut point between all clips, select all the clips in the sequence, and then choose a transition preset from the Transitions panel.
Change transition duration
You can change the duration of a transition in the Edit tab of the Transitions panel or in the sequence.
- With a transition selected in your sequence, go to the Edit tab of the Transitions panel and move the Duration slider or enter a numeric value for the duration.
- Alternatively, in the Timeline, move a transition’s handles to adjust the duration.
Change transition placement
- In the sequence, drag a transition left or right to begin the effect earlier or later.
Delete a transition
- Select the transition in the Timeline, and press Delete on the keyboard.
Tip: If you want to change an existing transition’s type, select the transition in the sequence and choose a different type in the Transitions panel. The location and duration of the effect are unchanged.