TVSDK for Desktop HLS 2.3 is a next generation player with a unified architecture, several performance improvements that result in a less than 1 sec start up time, and improved seamless playback.The TVSDK includes all of the features from version 1.4 with no deprecation.
This release ensures higher user engagement by providing a high-quality video playback experience.
The TVSDK for Desktop HLS 2.3 requires Adobe Flash Player version 21.
• Performance Improvements
The new architecture includes the following performance improvements:
The TVSDK reduces the size of each fragment even more to start playback as soon as possible.
- Parallel Ad downloads
The TVSDK prefetches ads in parallel to the content playback before hitting the ad breaks, which enables seamless playback of ads and content.
- Delayed Ad loading
The TVSDK does not wait for the all ads in the timeline to be resolved before playback. Instead, the player downloads the ad manifests and stitches the ads into the timeline as the playhead reaches the ad break.
- Improved ABR logic
The new ABR logic is based on buffer length, rate of change of buffer length, and the measured bandwidth. This ensures not only does the ABR chooses the correct bit rate when the bandwidth fluctuates, but also optimizes the number of times the bitrate switch actually happens by monitoring the rate at which the buffer length changes.
- Instant on
When you enable instant on, the TVSDK initializes and buffers media before playback starts. Because you can launch multiple MediaPlayerItemLoader instances simultaneously in the background, you can buffer multiple streams. When a user changes the channel, and the stream has buffered properly, playback on the new channel starts immediately.
- Smoother trick play
The following enhancements have been made to trick play:
• Adaptive bit-rate and frame rate selection during trick play that is based on the bandwidth and buffer profile.
• To get up to 30 fps fast playback, instead of the IDR stream, the main stream is now leveraged.
- Persistent Network Connection
You must have at least Adobe Flash Player version 22 or later installed.
Persistent network connections create and store an internal list of network connections that can be reused for multiple requests, instead of opening a new connection for each network request. Persistent network connections should increase efficiency and decrease latency in your networking code.
In this release, this feature is not supported in Apple Safari and Mozilla Firefox on a Mac.
|Operating system||Mac OS X v10.6 or later|
|Browsers||Safari 5.0 or later, Mozilla Firefox 17 or later, Google Chrome, or Opera 11|
|Flash Player||Flash Player 21 or later|
|CPU||Intel Core™ Duo 1.83 GHz or faster processor|
|GPU||128 MB graphics memory|
|swf||Your compiled application must use at least SWF version 22|
|Operating system||• Microsoft® Windows® XP (32 bit)
• Windows Server 2008 (32 bit)
• Windows Vista® (32 bit)
• Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)
• Windows 8 (32 bit and 64 bit)
• Windows Server 2012 (64 bit)
|Browsers||• Internet Explorer 8.0 or later
• Mozilla Firefox 17 or later
• Google Chrome (not supported on Windows XP)
• Opera 11
|Flash Player||Flash Player 21 or later.|
|CPU||2.33 GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel® Atom™ 1.6GHz or faster processor for Netbooks|
|RAM||512 MB (1 GB recommended for Netbooks)|
|GPU||128MB graphics memory|
|swf||Your compiled application must use at least swf version 22|
Slow motion is not supported on any platform or version of the TVSDK.
- Custom ad resolver
- Blackouts of ads
- Slow motion in trick play
- Seek and trick play with MP4 content
- Ads Insertion with MP4 main content
- Seek when an ad plays
- Playback of ads with audio-only media
Here are the known issues for the TVSDK for Desktop HLS 2.3 (1396):
- PTPLAY-13504 - Ad fall back does not work if the inline ad does not have a valid mime-type.
- PTPLAY-13394 - Sometimes VMAP VPAID ad dispatches an extra AD_COMPLETE event in the ad event sequence.
- PTPLAY-12760 - TVSDK 2.3 does not send the custom third party parameters in AuditudeRequest.
- PTPLAY-12502 - TVSDK does not support 302 redirect optimization for stream level m3u8s when the set-level m3u8 has relative paths for stream-level m3u8s and the set-level is not 302 redirected.
- PTPLAY-11926 - The podprogress is not pinged when a VMAP does not return ads.
- PTPLAY-11190 - Fast forwarding until the end of the media does not play the last skipped ad or the post roll ad.
- PTPLAY-10921 - When duration of audio segments does not match the durations listed in the manifest, it can lead to choppy playback.
- PTPLAY-9050 - When the manifest for live content has a non-existent stream URL, with an ad insertion scenario, it throws an AVE Native error 18 ('INVALID_PARAMETER') and the app might stop the playback.
- PTPLAY-7623 - Calling replaceCurrentItem with a MediaPlayerItemLoader item, which has already been used, throws an error.
- PTPLAY-6446 - The getTime API in the TimedMetadata class returns a negative value for live content that has ID3 metadata embedded in it.
- PTPLAY-2742 - kEventRateSelected is not triggered if the video rewinds as soon as the playback begins.