Authors can create learning objects such as courses, certifications, and learning plans. Learners can consume these learning objects, while administrators can track the performance of learners based on the consumption pattern.
Adobe Captivate Prime enables authors to create courses of their choice. Authors can import the existing e-learning content that is created using Adobe Captivate and Adobe Presenter. Other supported course formats include video files, PDF, doc, docx, PPT, and PPTX. Administrators can create unique learning programs with a predefined set of courses for learners.
If you have not yet created any courses, you can view some sample courses available in the application to get an idea for creating courses.
To create a course, follow the steps below:
- Log in to Adobe Captivate Prime as author.
- From the home page, click Create Courses
- Provide the basic information required for the course such as the course name, a short description about the course, an overview of the course.
- To make your course available in other languages, click Add New Language from the upper-left corner of the page.
- Select the language or languages in which you want to make your course available. Click Save.
- You can see the number of languages you have chosen right next to the Add New Language option.
- Click Add modules to course and choose a module from the following list of four modules. Provide the required basic information for each module and click Done.
When you choose a Self paced module, you can choose not to add any content. To add an empty container, click Skip. You can link the content later using the Add Content option in the Module details dialog box.
8. An author can create CR and VC sessions with multiple days. Admins/Authors can set the Start Date and End Date for a CR and VC module. It indicates that the session is configured for multiple days. Learning Time Spent for a module is also calculated based on session duration per day spanned across multiple days.
9. Click the sequencing type for modules as Ordered or Unordered based on your preference.
If you choose Ordered, the modules appear in the same sequence as you created them. If you choose Unordered, the modules are not sequenced. Learners can complete the modules in any order.
10. From the Completion Limit field, set the number of modules that a Learner must complete for the Course completion status.
11. Click Save.
Specify the basic information for the course, for each of the languages that you have chosen. Else, your course details are not saved, and you cannot proceed to the next page.
Next page appears with optional and mandatory settings to choose for the course. All the fields with * are mandatory.
12. Pick up Chapter Skill, the corresponding level and assign the credits for each level. To add more skills, click Add More.
13. Choose Enrollment type as
- Manager nominated: Only managers can nominate these courses.
Learnercannot enroll tothese types of courses.
- Manager approved: Managers approve these courses. Learners can sign up for these courses but they are not enrolled directly
tothese types of courses without Manager’s approval. A notification request is sent to Managers when learners sign up for these types of courses. Upon Manager approval, these courses are listed as enrolled for learners. Self enrolled: Learners can directly enroll themselves tothese types of courses.
14. Select the Unenrollment check box if you want to provide the ability for Learners to enroll themselves out of your course.
15. Choose the pre-requisite courses that have to be completed before taking up your course. Click the Courses field and choose from the list of courses.
17. Add the profiles of your target audience for this course by clicking the text area and choosing the profiles from the suggestion box.
18. Add resource files for your course as extra material. Drag your materials such as text, or video, or audio files.
19. Captivate Prime allows you to edit Author names for courses. You can add one or more names in the Author field. It is not essential that the name you are adding has to be a part of the system or the account. To add Author name, open Courses> select a course > open Settings > Authors.
Once you complete creating the course, click Save. Your course is saved as
To make your course ready for publishing, add course name, at least one module, enrollment type, competency, competency level, and credits.
To publish your course, click MyCourses and hover the mouse over course tile and click Publish Course as shown in the following snapshot.
From the pop-up dialog box, select the additional language or languages that you want to offer to learners and click Save.
Republish your course for your changes to take effect.
The following are the supported file formats for content:
The supported format is .zip. However, reporting can be of the following formats:
- Scorm 1.2
- Scorm 2004
- Videos: mp4, .avi, .wmv, .mov, .mpg, .m4v, .3gp
- Powerpoint - .pptx, .ppt
- Word files - .docx, .doc
- Excel files - .xslx, .xls
When you add content for multiple languages, you cannot combine static and interactive content within a single content group.
You can publish the course modules to Captivate Prime from Adobe Captivate and Adobe Presenter software using Publish menu.
- Click Publish->Publish to Captivate Prime.
- Provide the subdomain name or email-id and click Submit. If you have multiple accounts, you are prompted to choose the account.
- Log in with Adobe id credentials. If you do not have an Adobe id, click create account.
- After authorization, you are directed to module publishing page.
- Provide all the basic information about the module and click Publish.
- You can see the published module on Captivate Prime modules page.
- From the Captivate Prime app, click Content Library from the left navigation pane.
- Select the course for which you want to add delivery types.
- On the Basic info page, click Edit on the upper-right corner.
- From the Modules field, click Add More Delivery Types.
- From the pop-up dialog box that appears, select the additional module types that you want to enable.
- Click Done.
- To enable the change, click Republish and republish your course.
You can view a list of all available courses as an author. To view all the courses in Captivate Prime account, click Course Catalog. To view all your authored courses in Captivate Prime account, click My Courses.
To filter the courses based on competencies or their different states as draft, published and retired, click the tabs. If you are a manager and want to view courses, you can preview as a learner or switch to learner.
You can retire a course after the learner consumes the course or if you want to hold up any particular course after publishing it. You can retire a course only when it is in a published state. List of all the retired courses can be viewed by clicking the Retired tab.
Course effectiveness score helps the authors to evaluate the courses which are not working as per learners needs and modify them accordingly. Course effectiveness is evaluated to understand the usefulness of a course to the learner. It is a combination of results from learner feedback on the course content. The course quiz results for a learner and the manager’s feedback evaluating a learner based on learning from the course.
In My Courses, author can view the course effectiveness rating on the course thumbnails as shown in the below snapshot. You can see the rating for this course as 100.
The course effectiveness rating value is arrived considering L1, L2 & L3 feedback values. To view the breakup of each feedback, click the course effectiveness value. A pop-up menu appears as shown below.
In this sample snapshot, 1 out 1 user received all the three types of feedback, hence the score is 100/100. From this table, you can understand the missing feedback to improve overall effectiveness. To view how course effectiveness is calculated, click the down-arrow at the lower-right corner of the pop-up menu.
Adobe Captivate Prime makes it easier for you to find the courses of your choice quickly. You can search for your courses in two ways:
- Using Search field. Click search icon displayed at the upper-right corner. A search field appears. To locate your courses, type the course name or any keywords associated with your courses. You can also search using tags that are added during course creation. Tags are searchable inside Search Courses field, which means the tags are displayed in search field as you type.
- By filtering list of courses using the filters. You can filter the courses by state such as All, published, draft, and Retired. Based on your choice, you can view the filtered list of courses and select the required courses.
You can search based on competencies by clicking Competencies and choosing them. As an author, you can sort the courses in five ways to better locate your required course. Click Sort by and choose alphabetical ascending order, alphabetical descending order, course created date, course updated date, and effectiveness of courses:
After creating the courses, authors can preview their courses before publishing them:
- Click the draft course name on the course tile.
- In draft mode, click the preview as learner from the left pane.
- To view the course modules in player, click the module names in course content page.
A typical course life cycle looks as follows:
Draft –When an author completes creating a course and saving it. At this state, course is not available yet for learners.
Published –When an author completes publishing a course. At this state, the course is available for learners to enroll. You can also edit a course at this state.
Retired – After publishing a course, an author can move it to a retired state if the author doesn’t want the course to appear in course catalog for learners.
Deleted – A course under deleted state is when it is removed completely from the Adobe Captivate Prime application. Only authors can delete courses when they are in Draft or Retired states.
An author can edit a course at a published state. At this state, the author can edit all the sections of a course and republish a course. Authors and Administrators of an organization can modify the skills, credits, and levels of an already published course.
To edit a published course, click the course card and click Edit at the upper-right corner of the page.
While editing the sections of a course if you have to move out of the page, republish the course. You get a dialog confirmation asking you to republish the course.
While creating courses, Authors can select whether learners can unenroll themselves from the course. If Administrator selects the option, then learner can unenroll themselves.
Both Author and Admin can create certifications and learning programs for learners from the Author app. From the home page, click either Certifications, or Learning Programs to create the respective learning objects.