If an author wants to re-use parts (a fragment of an experience) of a page, he has to copy and paste that fragment. Creating and maintaining these copy/paste experiences is time-consuming and prone to user errors.
Supporting the headless CMS use-case: Authors want to use AEM only for authoring but not for delivering to the customer. A third party system/touchpoint would consume that experience and then deliver to the end user.
An Experience Fragment is a group of one or more components including content and layout that can be referenced within pages. They can contain any component.
An Experience Fragment:
- is a part of an experience that in itself makes sense.
- has one or multiple components with a layout within a paragraph system.
- can be combined with other Experience Fragments to a complete experience/page.
- can be reused, reordered and resized across pages.
- can have different variations and may share content and / or components.
- can be a set of experiences that make sense to group.
- is based on a template to define structure and components.
Experiencts Fragments should be used:
- Whenever you want to reuse experiences.
- Experiences that will be reused with same or similar content
- When you use AEM as a content delivery platform for third parties.
- Any solution that wants to use AEM as the content delivery platform
- Embedding content in third party touchpoints
- If you have an Experience with different variations or renditions.
- Channel or context-specific variations
- Experiences that make sense to group (for example a campaign with different experiences across channels)
- When you use Omnichannel Commerce.
- Sharing commerce-related content on social media channels at scale
- Making touchpoints transactional
You can use the template editor to create your own template.
The Experience Fragment Editor offers you similar capabilities to the normal page Editor. See Editing Page Content for more information on how to use it.
The following procedure is an example where you would create a teaser for a product: