Type of package
Release Notes | InDesign Server
Learn how to access, install and activate your InDesign Server license.
Welcome to the December 2020 release of Adobe® InDesign® Server (version 16.0). This document contains late-breaking product information, updates, and troubleshooting tips not covered in the InDesign Server documentation.
Minimum system requirements
For an updated list of system requirements, see System requirements | InDesign Server.
Additional install/uninstall scenarios
Create Connected activation InDesign Server package
Learn the steps to create Connected activation InDesign Server packages and deploy them. After deploying, you can learn how to remove the licenses, for example, machines that are no longer in use or if you must redeploy the license.
You must have access to the Adobe Admin Console and the new FRL SKUs. If you do not have the FRL SKUs, contact your account manager for assistance.
- Log in to the Admin Console. From the upper-right corner, search and apply the organization that has InDesign Server.
- Navigate to Packages > Packages. The history of all packages created by all admins in your organization is displayed.
3. Click Create a Package.
4. In the screen that appears, select your activation method as Online, and click Next. For more information, see Feature Restricted Licensing - Online.
5. In the Entitlements step, choose the required entitlement, and click Next.
6. In the System step, select the required options and click Next.
- Choose a Platform: Choose Mac OS or Windows 64-bit operating system.
- Language: Select the language in which you want to create the package.
- Use OS Locale: Enables you to create a package that deploys in the OS language of client machine. In which case, the OS language is the default fallback language in which the package is deployed.
7. In the Choose Apps step, you can choose whether to build a License-only package or a package that also includes the InDesign Server application.
Create this package if the client machines already have InDesign Server installed. Later, you can simply license the installed application.
From Available Applications, add only the License File to Selected Applications.
Create this package if the client machine is already licensed with a Feature Restricted Licensing - Online license. Then, install InDesign Server on the machine.
From Available Applications, add InDesign Server to Selected Applications. Don't add the License File.
Package containing apps and license
Create this package to install and license InDesign Server.
From Available Applications, add InDesign Server and the License File to Selected Applications.
Select Show older versions to display a list of previous versions of the apps. Enterprise admins can view more versions that don't receive security or feature updates by selecting Available application versions in package preferences (Admin Console > Packages > Preferences). For more information, see Packaging apps using Admin Console.
To know what versions are supported for your Creative Cloud plan, review the Creative Cloud Support policy.
After you're done with your selections, click Next.
8. In the Options step, select the required option and click Next.
License activation options
Choose how clients will send information to Adobe’s licensing servers
Authorize Adobe License server by DNS name(default): Allow traffic to pass through your firewall to https://lcs-cops.adobe.io.
Authorize Adobe License server by fixed IP address: Allow traffic to pass through your firewall to https://lcs-cops-proxy.adobe.com and the fixed IPs listed in the License activation options screen.
The default domain has a non-static IP behind it, while the new domain will point to one among the list of static IPs in the License activation options screen. The second option provides more control to the customer in managing outgoing network traffic.
9. In the Finalize step, in the Package Name box, enter the name for the package.
Review the included applications and configuration for this package before building the package.
10. Click Build Package.
Watch the build status of the package in the Status column on the Packages pane.
If the package is built successfully, it displays the Download link in the Availability column.
A package is available in the Admin Console for up to three days. To check the time remaining to download the package, click the row item for the package to display the package details.
To download and distribute the package, click Download.
After you create the Feature Restricted Licensing - Online package, you must set up the end-user machines with the license. To learn more about deploying packages, update or remove licenses and a list of FAQs, see the FRL Deployment Guide.
Install licenses for license-only packages
1. Download the package from the Admin Console.
2. Extract the contents of the package.
The license-only package contains a .json file (that contains the licensing information) and the Licensing Toolkit utility:
- For Windows: adobe-licensing-toolkit.exe
- For macOS: adobe-licensing-toolkit
3. To install the license, run the following commands with admin privileges:
adobe-licensing-toolkit.exe --precondition --install --filePath <absolute path of the .json file>
adobe-licensing-toolkit.exe -p -i -f <absolute path of the .json file>
sudo adobe-licensing-toolkit --precondition --install --filePath <absolute path of the .json file>
sudo adobe-licensing-toolkit -p -i -f <absolute path of the .json file>
The license is deployed on the computer. The user is now licensed to use the installed Adobe apps.
- Licensing InDesign Server
- Get started with InDesign Server (Download, Install, and license)
- Visit the InDesign Community to be inspired and get answers to top questions.
- Join the Adobe Prerelease User Community and provide early feedback on the upcoming version of InDesign Server.
- Submit a feature request or report a bug: UserVoice.
- (macOS only) InDesign Server quits with segmentation fault after few days when run with session support on Mac 10.15.7.
- For issues pertaining to licensing, see Known Licensing Issues With Adobe InDesign Server.
Adobe Customer Care provides assistance with product information, sales, registration, and other non-technical issues. To find out how to contact Adobe Customer Care, visit Adobe.com for your region or country and click Contact.
Support Plan Options and Technical Resources
Free troubleshooting resources include Adobe’s support knowledgebase, Adobe user-to-user forums, Adobe Customer Care Advisor and more. We are continually making more tools and information available online to provide you with flexible options for resolving issues as fast as possible.
Installation and Activation Support
For installation and activation support, contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you cannot find answers on our Help site.
Customers developing their own solution can purchase Developer support for further assistance on InDesign APIs, scripts and plugins. For more information, see Adobe Creative Cloud Exchange | Developer support