The content on this page contains instructions for the native enterprise environment. Check the dropdown to the right for other environments. -->
Create or update users in bulk
Add or update users in bulk
The admin of a multiuser account can do bulk updates or add users to their account. Use this method if your company has changed their name, to ensure all your users have the correct information set for their account. You can also use it to create users in their account.
There are opportunities to make mistakes in the process, so follow the steps closely.
This process requires a .CSV file in a specific format. Below, there's a sample file that this article references. This .CSV can be used for your bulk user update, once you've enter your user-specific data.
Save this file as a .CSV file to upload it to Adobe Acrobat Sign. To save it, open the document in Microsoft Excel and choose File > Save As. Choose .CSV from the Save as Type pop-up menu.
Specific information is necessary to create or change a user's information in our system.
- Email Address (Mandatory) - The user's current e-mail address or the e-mail address of the user you want to create is the only mandatory piece of data we need
- New email Address (Optional) - This should be the new e-mail address you want to set for the user
- First Name (Required if creating new users, Optional if updating existing users) - The value for the user's first name
- Last Name (Required if creating new users, Optional if updating existing users) - The value for the user's last name
- Title (Optional) - The job title or position of the user
- Company (Optional) - The company name for your users
- Phone Number (Optional)
- Area Code (Optional) - This determines which fax number is used for fax transactions
- Time Zone (Optional) - set the timezone for the user
- UI Local - set the language of the service for the user
- Group Name (Optional) - The user's group name or name of the group you want them in. This can also create a group in your account, if it doesn't exist
- Is Admin (Optional) - TRUE: This user is or should be an account admin FALSE: This user is not or shouldn't be an account admin
- Is Group Admin (Optional) - TRUE: This user is or should be an admin of their group FALSE: This user is not and shouldn't be an admin of their group
- Can Send Documents (Optional) - If set to false this user cannot use the service to send agreements
- Can Sign Documents (Optional) - if set to False the user will not be able to sign e-Sign service agreements. They can still send agreements assuming 'Can send' is set to true
- Status (Optional) - Active or Inactive. Inactive users cannot use the service at all.
The new e-mail address you want to use cannot exist in Acrobat Sign when doing a bulk user update. It is best achieved when nothing has been sent through Acrobat Sign to the new user's e-mail address.
To access this option, go to the Account page and choose Users followed by the plus (+) sign.
Click the 'Create users in bulk' tab. The options for the bulk update appear. Click the Browse button to open a window so you can navigate to the .CSV file saved to your system.
Deselect the necessary options depending on what you'd like to accomplish.
- Allow Create Users - Deselecting this option only allows you to update existing users. If an e-mail address that is not in your account is provided, it doesn't create a user.
- Allow Update Users - Deselecting this option only allows you to create users. If an e-mail address of an existing user in your account is provided, it doesn't update their information.
- Allow Create Groups - Deselecting this option keeps you from creating groups. If a nonexistent group name is provided for a user, the group isn't created