What you learned: Use Luma Matte to isolate an element from its background
Create transparency on one layer based on the luminance values from another layer
- In the Timeline panel, stack the layer to determine transparency directly on top of the layer to be the fill.
- Toggle the Switches And Modes button to reveal the modes and to hide the switches in the Timeline panel.
- Change the Track Matte switch for the fill layer to Luma Matte.
Adjust the luminance of a sourced layer using the Levels effect
- Select the layer used as the source for the Luma Matte track matte (the upper layer).
- Apply the Levels effect to the layer.
- Adjust the Input Black and Input White settings to make the dark pixels darker or the light pixels lighter.