Adobe Analytics does not have a default report that explicitly compares new visitors to return visitors. However, you can obtain this information by minor calculations or segmentation. All first-time visits are technically also first--time visitors. Therefore, you can take the number of first-time visits and subtract this number from total unique visitors to find the number of return visitors.
- Create two segments.
- Label one as "Return Visits" and define it as "Visit container where Visit Number is greater than 1".
- Label the other as "First Visits" and define it as "Exclude Visit container where Visit Number is greater than 1".
- In a freeform table, drag the desired breakdown, then drag the two segments over as metrics.
Ad Hoc Analysis has a default segment that includes only first-time visitors.
- Open Ad Hoc Analysis and navigate to a Unique Visitors report.
- Drag the segment First Time Visitors as a metric into the workspace.
- Create a segment with the following rule:
- "Include Visit container where visit number is greater than 1".
- Drag this segment as another metric into the workspace, so you to see the two metrics side-by-side.
Because of ReportBuilder's integration with Excel, you can request a visit number report and a unique visitors report in the same workbook. Then, you can use Excel's formula function to automatically calculate the correct value.
- Open Excel, log in to ReportBuilder, and create a request.
- Specify that this request is in the context of a Visitor Retention > Visit Number report.
- Specify the report suite, and date range. Make sure that the granularity is Aggregated, then click Next.
- Drag the metric Instances into the Metrics box, then click Finish.
- Create another request, this time in the context of a traffic report. Make sure that the report suite, date range, and granularity are the same, and click Next.
- Drag the desired unique visitors metric into the metrics box, then click Finish.
- You now have two requests in this workbook. Take an unused cell and place the following formula in it:
(Where cell B2 contains unique visitor data and cell B5 contains first visit data. All other visit number data can be ignored.)
- The result in this new cell is first-time visitors minus total unique visitors, which is equal to return visitors.