What you'll need
1. Open your drawing, or use ours (pattern-effect_start.ai).
2. Choose the Selection tool and drag to select the artwork.
Before Illustrator is entering the Pattern Editing Mode a warning dialog is displayed, that any changes made will be applied to the swatch upon exit. Click OK to dismiss the warning.
Click on an object in the pattern. Hover over the outside corner of the selection and drag to rotate the object. Click on another object and drag a selection handle to resize it.
4. Set the Pattern Type: Choose Hex by Column from the Tile drop down. Check Size Tile to Art.
5. Set spacing between object: Set the H Spacing and V Spacing to -20 px each.
6. Set the Overlap property to Bottom in Front. Click on Done to leave the Pattern Editing Mode.
Create a new document with the pattern
7. Create a new empty document of the desired size. Then open the Swatches panel (Window – Swatches), where you will find the pattern you just created. Click on it to make it the Fill color.
8. Choose the Rectangle tool, then draw a rectangle across the canvas and it will be filled with the pattern.
That's it! Now it's your turn to create a pattern effect in 60 seconds with Illustrator. Download the assets or use your own and share your image on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using #MadewithIllustrator to get feedback and connect with other creative minds.
Behance: https://www.behance.net/live Join our regular livestreams with real pros, real projects in real time and find inspiration.