Accentuate fashion photography with dramatic digital makeup using brushes, masks, and the Curvature Pen tool.
What you'll need
Now try it yourself
1. Download the practice files and open "model.psd" in Photoshop.
Paint your design
2. With the layer "Paint" selected, choose the Brush (B) tool. Click the little arrow in the top bar to adjust the brush settings. Select a soft round tip and set the size to 700px.
3. Choose a red color (#e7193b) and brush over the model’s eyes. Then choose a purple color (#a82dd5) and brush over the model’s eyebrows and forehead.
4. Set the layer Blend Mode to Multiply so the paint "melts" into the skin.
5. Now choose a blue color (#2d55d5), open the Brushes panel by going to Window > Brushes and choose Kyle’s Spatter Brushes – Pressure Control 2 from the folder Brushes Special Effects to paint a glitter pattern across the model’s cheeks and nose.
6. Still on the paint layer, click the Add layer mask icon on the bottom of the Layers panel. A mask layer thumbnail appears next to layer thumbnail.
7. With the brush tool selected, set the brush to a soft round tip, set the size to 80px and make sure that the foreground color is set to black. Now brush over eyes, hair and fingers on the mask so the original image shows through. If needed choose a smaller brush to work more precisely.
Tip: Black on a layer mask hides the layer that contains the mask, so you can see what is underneath that layer. If you switch the foreground color to white you can paint to reveal content you had previously concealed with black on the layer mask.
8. Next create a fancy eyeshadow. For that, choose the Curvature Pen tool and set the mode to Path and the Path operation to Exclude Overlapping Shapes.
9. Click along the upper eye line to add points for a curved path. Click on the original point to close the path. To create a sharp corner on the left side of your object, double-click on the little square.
10. With the path defined, go to the top bar and choose Make Selection. The Make Selection window opens > set the Feather Radius to 4 and click OK.
11. Make sure the mask thumbnail is still selected on the Paint layer. Then paint with a black brush inside the selection. Leave the right side soft for a smoother blend.
That's it! Now it's your turn to make a high fashion face paint in Photoshop. Download the assets or use your own and share your result on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using #MadewithPhotoshop to get feedback and connect with other creative minds.
Behance: https://www.behance.net/live Join our regular livestreams with real pros, real projects in real time and find inspiration.