When you attempt to use the Save as Adobe PDF item from the Print dialog's PDF menu in an Automator workflow, you receive the following message:
"The action "Save as Adobe PDF" could not be loaded because it is not Universal. Please ask the developer for a Universal version of the action"
On Snow Leopard, Automator is a 64-bit app and the Save as Adobe PDF workflow is a 32-bit binary and therefore does not load. To use Save as Adobe PDF, launch Automator in the 32-bit mode:
1. If Automator is open, quit Automator by going to Automator > Quit Automator.
2. Open a new Finder window and navigate to the Applications folder.
3. In the Finder, select Automator.
4. Go to File > Get Info.
5. In the Automator Info window, open the General section.
6. Select the Open in 32-bit mode option.