Error "Adobe DRM Error" | Activate access eBook | Digital Editions
When you activate Adobe Digital Editions or access an eBook, the application returns the message "Adobe DRM Error" or E_ADEPT_IO."
Do one of the following solutions:
Solution 1: If you changed the clock on your computer, reset it to the actual time.
Note: DRM-protected books aren't available until the clock time reaches the time to which your clock was originally set.
Solution 2: Disable firewall, antivirus, or proxy software.
Firewall, anti-virus, and proxy software can intercept the activation request from Adobe Digital Editions to the activation server. If you receive an error beginning with "E_ADEPT_IO," then your machine isn't allowing the connection to the activation server.
To resolve this issue, modify your firewall or other software to allow your machine to connect to the activation server:
Choose Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall.
Do one of the following:
- Windows Vista, Windows 7: In the sidebar, select the option for Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall. Click Allow Another Program.
- Windows XP: Select the Exceptions tab. Click Add Program.
From the Add A Program menu, select Adobe Digital Editions.
Approve the prompts that appear to complete the process.
Solution 3: For all other issues, contact Adobe technical support.
To open an Adobe support web case, follow the 'Contact Technical Support' link on the Adobe Digital Editions Support Center.
Include the following information:
- Description of the issue, including error code (if available)
- Operating system and version
- Browser and version
- CPU type
- Network connection
- Software used for downloading eBooks:
- Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.2
- User permission level (for example, Administrator, Managed User)
- Type of content
- URL to the eBook (if available)
DRM errors occur for several reasons:
- When you download an eBook for the first time, Adobe Digital Editions connects to the activation server. If the activation server is unavailable or your network settings prevent your computer from connecting to the server, then you receive a DRM error.
- If you use Adobe Digital Editions to open or read eBooks on a computer other than the one on which you purchased the eBooks, then you receive the error. For more information on this issue, see You can only open or read eBooks on one computer (Digital Editions).
- DRM errors can occur if the clock has been changed on your computer. The DRM system tracks the clock to restrict users from overwriting expiration dates of library books and other items that expire.
If you believe that you have firewall or proxy issues:
- Make sure that the firewall is using port 80 and NO CACHE is on.
Adobe Digital Editions uses the following HTTP headers. These headers are open for both directions. The ports are the standard HTTP ports.