Adobe Creative Cloud has moved to native Operating System (OS) support for Dolby Digital decoding (reading Dolby files) and is no longer providing support for encoding (writing) Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus sound formats in the current and future releases of Creative Cloud.
These changes affect the following Creative Cloud products:
- Adobe Premiere Pro CC
- Adobe After Effects CC
- Adobe Audition CC
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC
- Adobe Media Encoder CC
- Adobe Prelude CC
- Adobe Premiere Elements
Both Windows and OS X operating systems (Windows 8.1 or above and Mac OS X .11 or above) contain native support for Dolby decoding functions. Please update to the latest version of your operating system.
If you run a Windows operating system on your computer, all recent versions now support some form of Operating System (OS) level decode for Dolby audio.
There are a few exceptions, though:
- Windows 10N/10KN: Windows 10N/10KN version does not include the media package required to decode AC-3. You can find instructions on how to fix this issue in the following article on the Microsoft support site: Media feature pack for Windows 10 N and Windows 10 KN editions.
- Windows 8.1N/8.1KN: Windows 8.1N/8.1KN version does not include the media package required to decode AC-3. You can find instructions on how to fix this issue in the following article on the Microsoft support site: Media feature pack for Windows 8.1 N and Windows 8.1 KN editions.
Older versions of Windows:
- Windows 7: Windows 7 does not include the media package required to decode AC-3. The best solution is to upgrade to Windows 8 or Windows 10.
If you run a Mac operating system on your computer, macOS 10.11 and later versions support decode for Dolby audio.
Are there differences between the native OS support for Dolby and the technology previously supported in Adobe’s products?
I’m on Windows 7 and just bought a new camera that records in AVC-HD. Does this mean I have to update my operating system and Creative Cloud software version to hear my audio?
Adobe recommends that you update to the latest version of your Creative Cloud software and also update to a more secure operating system (Windows 10 preferred). If you’re unable to do so, please contact the Adobe Customer Care team.