For information about transferring a volume license, contact us through Adobe Volume Licensing Help. For information about using software on multiple computers, see End-user license agreements FAQ, or see the Adobe product license agreement for your product.
License transfer policy
If you sell or give your Adobe software to an individual or business, you can transfer the license accordingly. Transferring the license allows the new owner to register the software in their name.
Important: Educational versions of Adobe-branded products are not eligible for a transfer of license. You can, however, transfer educational versions of Macromedia-branded products to a new owner.
- If you transfer a license for a product suite, then the license applies to the entire suite of products. Individual products within a product suite are not eligible for a transfer of license.
- The transfer of a license includes all versions of that product. If you sell or donate your registered copy of an Adobe product license, then you transfer your rights to all versions of that license as well.
- Adobe limits an individual to a maximum of four license transfers in a lifetime.
- Support contracts that are attached to a license do not transfer to the new licensee. Support contracts are legally nontransferable as specified in the terms and conditions of the contract.
- Except in Germany, Adobe does not permit transfers for OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions of software.
Requirements to transfer a license
- Both the transferor of the license and the recipient must complete a Transfer of License form.
- The product serial number must be registered in the Adobe profile of the transferor to transfer the license.
- You must qualify under the Transfer of License policy.
License transfer process
Note: Failure to obtain a case number from Adobe Customer Service before submitting the Transfer of License form can delay processing.
Return the completed Transfer of License form to Adobe:
- Go to www.adobe.com/go/supportportal/.
- Type in your Adobe ID and Password and then click Sign in.
- Click your case number.
- Upload the scanned form.
After Adobe receives the completed Transfer of License form from both parties, Adobe registers the software to the new owner. Registration ensures that Adobe recognizes the new owner as the legal licensee who can receive customer service and support.
Once both parties have submitted a Transfer of License form, allow three to four weeks for your license transfer request to be processed.
Educational versions of Macromedia-branded products are eligible for a transfer of license. The new owner must provide proof of educational status to complete the transfer. If you are unable to provide a valid, current student ID that includes name, date, and a photo, then see www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/qualify.html. This page includes a list of education qualifications. Adobe acquired Macromedia in 2005. If you are the registered owner and you are transferring a Macromedia branded product, it's required that you remove the software from your computer.
Note: For Adobe Captivate, Contribute 2 or 3, FreeHand MX, FlashPaper 2, or an MX 2004 product, choose Help > Transfer Your Software License. Then, follow the directions.
After Adobe receives the completed Transfer of License form, Adobe registers the software to the new owner. Registration ensures that Adobe recognizes the new owner as the legal licensee who can receive customer service and support. Allow three to four weeks for your license transfer request to be processed.