Video file format
Work with videos
- Adobe XD User Guide
- What's new in Adobe XD
- Common questions
- Design, prototype, and share with Adobe XD
- System requirements
- Workspace basics
- Change app language in Adobe XD
- Access UI design kits
- Accessibility in Adobe XD
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Tips and tricks
- Adobe XD subscription options
- Changes to XD Starter Plan
- Artboards, guides, and layers
- Shapes, objects, and path
- Text and fonts
- Components and states
- Masking and effects
- Videos and Lottie animations
- Create interactive prototypes
- Animate prototypes
- Object properties supported for auto-animate
- Create prototypes with keyboard and gamepad
- Create prototypes using voice commands and playback
- Create timed transitions
- Add overlays
- Design voice prototypes
- Create anchor links
- Create hyperlinks
- Preview designs and prototypes
- Share, export, and review
- Share selected artboards
- Share designs and prototypes
- Set access permissions for links
- Work with prototypes
- Review prototypes
- Work with design specs
- Share design specs
- Inspect design specs
- Navigate design specs
- Review and comment design specs
- Export design assets
- Export and download assets from design specs
- Group sharing for enterprise
- Back up or transfer XD assets
- Design systems
- Cloud documents
- Integrations and plugins
- Work with external assets
- Work with design assets from Photoshop
- Copy and paste assets from Photoshop
- Import or open Photoshop designs
- Work with Illustrator assets in Adobe XD
- Open or import Illustrator designs
- Copy vectors from Illustrator to XD
- Plugins for Adobe XD
- Create and manage plugins
- Jira integration for XD
- Slack plugin for XD
- Zoom plug-in for XD
- Publish design from XD to Behance
- XD for iOS and Android
- Known and fixed issues
- Installation and updates
- Launch and crash
- Cloud documents and Creative Cloud Libraries
- Prototype, publish, and review
- Import, export, and working with other apps
Learn how to use videos in Adobe XD to create immersive design experiences.
XD allows you to import videos, adjust basic video settings, and control playback. After setting video playback and wiring your prototype, you can preview it before sharing.
4 steps to create and share video interactions
Get started by importing your video, and adjusting video settings. Then, set a playback option, preview the prototype, and share it with stakeholders for review.
To import your video into XD, drag it to an artboard. Alternatively, choose File > Import.
Video file format
Video compression (codec)
If your video does not meet the requirements given in the table, you get an error when importing it into XD.
Convert or trim your video for it to meet these requirements. Adobe Media Encoder is highly recommended.
You can use Adobe Media Encoder to quickly and easily prepare your video for import into XD.
Follow the steps given below:
In the Export Settings window, do the following:
- Ensure that the Format is H.264.
- To reduce your video size to below 15 MB, trim the video, or choose a Preset with a lower resolution. As you trim the video or try different presets, you can find the estimated file size in the lower-right corner of the window. A recommended preset is High Quality 720p HD.
- Click OK.
A recommended preset is High Quality 720p HD.
- Ensure that the Format is H.264.
Once imported, the first frame of the video is displayed on canvas. When you select the video in Design mode, you see a play iconin its upper-left corner.
To preview the video or adjust settings, click the button Video section of the Property Inspector. The Heads Up Display (HUD) opens. In the HUD:in the
- You can preview the video by clicking Play .
- You can trim video, change thumbnail, set playback to loop, or disable audio.
Trim the video
- Click Trim .
- Select a clip by dragging the start and stop points on the slider.
- Click the check mark to save the clip.
Frames are not deleted when you trim them. Click Trim
Change video thumbnail
- Click the Thumbnail icon to open the explorer.
- Browse and choose an image.
- Click Import.
To delete a thumbnail, click Delete.
Set playback to loop
Use the Loop playback toggle to enable or disable playing the video on loop.
Enable or disable audio
Click the speaker icon (| ) to mute or unmute the soundtrack in the video.
After adjusting video settings, control when your video will play by choosing a playback option.
In Design mode, in the Video section of the Property Inspector, choose a preset:
- Play on tap (default)
- Play automatically
- No playback
Choosing a playback option in Design mode automatically creates interactions for your video in Prototype mode.
To learn more about the video playback options and customizations, see Create prototypes using videos.
After wiring the prototype, use any of these options to preview it:
When your design is ready to be shared with stakeholders, set appropriate access permissions and publish the prototype or design specs link, and share it.
- You can import only MP4 videos into XD, with each video less than 25 MB.
- You can import a maximum of 20 unique videos in an XD document.
- Video assets can't be exported from File > Export. However video will be available in design specs.
- Only one video plays at a time.
- When the Action type is not Auto-Animate, initiating another trigger stops video playback.
- Playing videos automatically could conflict with artboard or Lottie animation Time triggers.
- You can't override videos in a Repeat Grid.
- Apart from the first video, other videos in a Repeat Grid will have No playback set as the default.
- Flip options are disabled for video in the Transform section of the Property Inspector.
- Fill and Border properties are not available for videos.
- Rounded corners are not available for videos in the Appearance section of the Property Inspector.
Have a question or an idea?
Have a question to ask or an idea to share? Come and participate in Adobe XD Community. We would love to hear from you and see your creations!