Illustrator on the iPad FAQs
- Illustrator User Guide
- Get to know Illustrator
- Introduction to Illustrator
- Workspace basics
- Learn faster with the Illustrator Discover panel
- Create documents
- Default keyboard shortcuts
- Customize keyboard shortcuts
- Introduction to artboards
- Manage artboards
- Customize the workspace
- Properties panel
- Set preferences
- Touch Workspace
- Microsoft Surface Dial support in Illustrator
- Undo edits and manage design history
- Rotate view
- Rulers, grids, and guides
- Accessibility in Illustrator
- Safe Mode
- View artwork
- Use the Touch Bar with Illustrator
- Files and templates
- Tools in Illustrator
- Tools at a glance
- Select tools
- Navigate tools
- Paint tools
- Text tools
- Draw tools
- Modify tools
- Quick actions
- Illustrator on the iPad
- Introduction to Illustrator on the iPad
- Select and arrange objects
- Work with images
- Cloud documents
- Add and edit content
- Drawing basics
- Edit paths
- Draw pixel-perfect art
- Draw with the Pen, Curvature, or Pencil tool
- Draw simple lines and shapes
- Image Trace
- Simplify a path
- Define perspective grids
- Symbolism tools and symbol sets
- Adjust path segments
- Design a flower in 5 easy steps
- Perspective drawing
- Draw pixel-aligned paths for web workflows
- 3D objects and materials
- Select and arrange objects
- Reshape objects
- Crop images
- Transform objects
- Combine objects
- Cut, divide, and trim objects
- Puppet Warp
- Scale, shear, and distort objects
- Blend objects
- Reshape using envelopes
- Reshape objects with effects
- Build new shapes with Shaper and Shape Builder tools
- Work with Live Corners
- Enhanced reshape workflows with touch support
- Edit clipping masks
- Live shapes
- Create shapes using the Shape Builder tool
- Global editing
- Add text and work with type objects
- Create bulleted and numbered lists
- Manage text area
- Fonts and typography
- Format type
- Import and export text
- Format paragraphs
- Special characters
- Create type on a path
- Character and paragraph styles
- Find missing fonts (Typekit workflow)
- Arabic and Hebrew type
- Fonts | FAQ and troubleshooting tips
- Create 3D text effect
- Creative typography designs
- Scale and rotate type
- Line and character spacing
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Spelling and language dictionaries
- Format Asian characters
- Composers for Asian scripts
- Create text designs with blend objects
- Create a text poster using Image Trace
- Create special effects
- Web graphics
- Import, export, and save
- Creative Cloud Libraries in Illustrator
- Prepare for printing
- Automate tasks
Here's everything you need to know to quickly get started with Illustrator on your iPad.
Quick start FAQs
- Can I use Illustrator on the iPad?
- Which iPad do I need to use Illustrator?
- What languages are supported in Illustrator on the iPad?
- Which Adobe plans include Illustrator on the iPad?
- Is Illustrator on the iPad available in my country?
- How do I manage my Illustrator on the iPad subscription purchased through Apple App Store?
- How much cloud storage does Illustrator on the iPad provide? Can I upgrade my storage?
- What happens to my assets if I close or delete my Adobe account?
Can I use Illustrator on the iPad?
Yes, you can! Download Illustrator on your iPad and start designing beautiful vector graphics and illustrations, wherever the inspiration strikes. Illustrator on the iPad lets you create logos, illustrations, and graphics with the precision of vectors and the freedom of Apple Pencil and the iPad.
Nevertheless, you can resume work seamlessly across your desktop and iPad using the power of cloud documents.
Subscribe to a Creative Cloud plan that includes Illustrator. If you already have an active plan that includes Illustrator, simply sign-in with your Adobe ID on your iPad and download Illustrator for the iPad today.
Which iPad do I need to use Illustrator?
Illustrator is supported on iOS version 14 or later with the following iPad models:
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 11 inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11 inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11 inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5 inch
- iPad Air (5th generation)
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Mini (6th generation)
Note: All are supported with 2nd generation Apple Pencil.
For more details, see System requirements | Illustrator on the iPad.
What languages are supported in Illustrator on the iPad?
Currently, Illustrator supports the following languages on the iPad:
English | Deutsch | Français | 日本語 | 한국어
You may be able to use an unsupported language on selecting a native font. However, the functionality will be limited and experience may be different. Adobe is working to provide support for additional languages in the future releases.
Illustrator's installation language is determined using the following order:
- If your iPad's language is one of the above, Illustrator is installed in the same language.
- If your iPad's language is not currently supported by Illustrator, then Illustrator is installed in the next supported language based on the preferred language order setting of your iPad.
- If none of the specified preferred language is supported, Illustrator is installed in English.
Which Adobe plans include Illustrator on the iPad?
- Already have an Adobe Creative Cloud plan that includes Illustrator?
Simply, download Illustrator on your iPad and sign-in with your Adobe ID, without buying a new plan.
- Are you a new user, or do you have a Creative Cloud plan that does not include Illustrator? You can buy a Creative Cloud Illustrator plan that includes both the desktop and iPad apps, or you can choose to get Illustrator on the iPad on its own.
- Buy Illustrator on the iPad through the App Store as a single app on a monthly or annual (available in the US market only) basis. Also, you can buy the app as part of the Adobe Design Mobile bundle.
- Get a trial plan and use Illustrator on your iPad for a limited duration.
Don't have an Adobe ID? It's free and easy to create one. Click here to quickly create your Adobe ID.
Is Illustrator on the iPad available in my country?
Illustrator on the iPad is available only in countries where Creative Cloud services are available. See the latest list of countries that support Creative Cloud services.
As Adobe Creative Cloud services are currently not available on adobe.com in Mainland China, Illustrator on the iPad is also not available in this region.
How do I manage my Illustrator on the iPad subscription purchased through Apple App Store?
Illustrator on the iPad subscription you purchase from the App Store is managed through your App Store account.
For more information, see Apple's documentation for:
How much cloud storage does Illustrator on the iPad provide? Can I upgrade my storage?
Your cloud storage is shared across your Adobe Creative Cloud apps. The amount of your cloud storage is determined by your Adobe Creative Cloud subscription plan. If your cloud storage goes over the given quota, your documents can be saved as a local document only. If you need more cloud storage, easily upgrade your subscription plan to include additional storage at any time.
In-app purchase (via Apple App Store)
Illustrator Single App (iPad only)
Creative Cloud All Apps
What happens to my assets if I close or delete my Adobe account?
If you close or delete your Adobe account, or if your subscription expires, your assets remain in the cloud and available to download for 30 days. After 30 days, you may lose access to some or all of your documents that are saved on the cloud servers.
To view your assets, go to assets.adobe.com.
To learn more about Creative Cloud, see Common Questions | Creative Cloud.
- How does Illustrator on the desktop work with Illustrator on the iPad?
- What are the key differences between Illustrator’s iPad and desktop versions?
- Can I open files from other locations in Illustrator on the iPad?
- Which file formats can I open and export in Illustrator on the iPad?
- How can I open a Creative Cloud file in Illustrator on the iPad?
- Can I turn off autosave in cloud documents?
How does Illustrator on the desktop work with Illustrator on the iPad?
Any new document you create with Illustrator on the iPad is saved as a cloud document, so that you can easily access your creative work from iPad to desktop. Cloud documents are automatically synced across devices to create a seamless workflow.
For example, if you want to resume your desktop work on the iPad, simply save your Illustrator file as a cloud document.
To view your cloud documents, click the Cloud documents tab on the home screen or access your documents on the Creative Cloud website.
What are the key differences between Illustrator’s iPad and desktop versions?
Illustrator has been reimagined to take advantage of iPad's specialities and Apple Pencil. Illustrator on the iPad makes graphic designing more intuitive and simple, with all the controls you need to achieve precision and quality.
The only difference you may notice is the user experience around the new touch screen interface. On both desktop and the iPad, you can attain the same amount of control and precision with a mouse click to the touch screen.
Can I open files from other locations in Illustrator on the iPad?
Any file created in Illustrator on the iPad is saved as a cloud file and can be opened seamlessly across platforms. You can also open a file from various other locations in Illustrator on the iPad.
To open a file on the iPad:
- From the Home screen:
On the home screen, tap Import and open. In the Browse dialog, navigate to your file and tap on it to open.
- From the document workspace:
Tap from the left toolbar and select one of the following options:
- Camera: Capture a photo and place it directly in your document.
- Photos: Import photos saved on your iPad into your document.
- Files: Import files that are saved on your iPad into your document.
- Cloud documents: Import Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Fresco cloud documents and place them directly in your document.
- Libraries: Import assets from Creative Cloud Libraries into your document.
Which file formats can I open and export in Illustrator on the iPad?
You can export an Illustrator file created or edited using the iPad into the following formats: Ai, PDF, SVG, PNG, and PSD.
On the top navigation bar, Tap Publish and Export to choose a format to publish or export the documents. For your ease, a quick list of most frequently used formats (.ai, png) is provided.
In addition, you can also choose to livestream your work using the Start Livestream option.
How can I open a Creative Cloud file in Illustrator on the iPad?
To open a Creative Cloud file in Illustrator on the iPad, do one of the following:
- Home screen: Tap Import and open.
- Document workspace: Tap Import button.
Now, in the Browse panel, select Locations > Creative Cloud to quickly import a file from Creative Cloud.
If you're unable to find Creative Cloud option under Locations, download the Creative Cloud app on your iPad and ensure that you are signed in. To add Creative Cloud under Locations, see the directions listed under 'Use third-party apps' in Files section in Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Can I turn off autosave in cloud documents?
Autosaving of cloud document helps you work seamlessly on your creative projects anytime, anywhere, across devices, without worrying about any data loss.
You can turn off the autosave while using Illustrator on the desktop. Autosaving of cloud document cannot be turned off on the iPad. However, you can restrict syncing over your cellular network when working on an iPad.
For more information, see Illustrator cloud documents | Common questions.
What are the keyboard and touch shortcuts for Illustrator on the iPad?
To view a list of popular keyboard shortcuts in Illustrator on the iPad, see Keyboard shortcuts.
To learn more about touch shortcuts and touch gestures in Photoshop on the iPad, see Touch shortcuts and gestures.
Share your feedback
How do I suggest a feature or report an issue with Illustrator on the iPad?
Participate in the future innovations of your favorite Adobe product! We value your input and make it easy to report issues or request new features.
To report a problem, suggest a feature, or take a survey, navigate to App Settings > General > Help > Send feedback.
You can also join the Adobe Illustrator Community to seek and provide guidance on using the app. We look forward to hearing from you.